Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MORE HELP NEEDED

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 2:35 am

Im still having trouble with my fish. Another platty has died today, even though I have been changing the water and got the ammonia level down.

The symptoms are that the fish are feeding but look very thin, especially towards the tail end. They look as if they are not swimming as easily but feed ok. Then they get slow, and just lie in a corner and die. The lfs said it could be internal bacteria and I was treating the tank with Interpet stuff for that but now with all the water changes I dont know if they have been getting enough of that and dont know what to do.

I dont want to lose any more fish - please help!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 am

What are your water stats now jammy?

It could be some sort of infectious thing. What was the Interpet stuff you were given and are you still treating the tank?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 am

It was interpet #9 Diana. If the fish is eating and continues to lose weight, there is probably an internal parasite present, do any of them have stringy poop?
I would recommend Octozin by Waterlife. It's in tablet form & added daily. You could do with a med you add daily so you can do small water changes before the next dose Very Happy
If you can't get hold of Octozin then i'd try the interpet stuff, i just can't recall if it's a daily med.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 10:52 pm

jammy wrote:
Im still having trouble with my fish. Another platty has died today, even though I have been changing the water and got the ammonia level down.

The symptoms are that the fish are feeding but look very thin, especially towards the tail end. They look as if they are not swimming as easily but feed ok. Then they get slow, and just lie in a corner and die. The lfs said it could be internal bacteria and I was treating the tank with Interpet stuff for that but now with all the water changes I dont know if they have been getting enough of that and dont know what to do.

I dont want to lose any more fish - please help!

jammy, I have lost some plattys with just these symptoms. The last one died just a few days ago and that was the third one in total.

I isolated them when they showed the first signs and treated them but had no success. I dont know what it was because it only seems to affect plattys, all the other fish were ok.
Back to top Go down

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 4:54 am

Do you think there may be a problem with plattys generally? I know that guppys are said to be weakened by inbreeding, and isn't there a virus going round that affects some fish (cant remember which though), so maybe there is something affecting plattys?
Back to top Go down

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 7:07 am

I dont know charley, I didnt know some fish were thought to be weaker than others to be honest.

I suppose its a possibility and I have just made it worse by not preparing the tank properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MORE HELP NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: Re: MORE HELP NEEDED   MORE HELP NEEDED Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MORE HELP NEEDED
Page 1 of 1