Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More Betta Help Needed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kerryjane

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-01-17

More Betta Help Needed Empty
PostSubject: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 am

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask this - sorry if it isn't.

Its just I am still not sure what to do about my betta. You know he had finrot and really was sick. He seems a lot better now coz I gave him stuff for finroot, swimming around and eating really well, but his tail is still shredded.

Should I just keep treating till it all gets better or just wait and see?

His water is fine and I am doing small water changes every couple opf days because I know that good water is important to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:02 am

sounds like you have done all the right things k
some one will come on soon and let you know about still treating it
hope all goes well and his tail comes back soon
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 5:10 am

If (as it sounds) he quite a bad dose of fin rot - his tail may not repair 100% ever - so if you have treated him according to the directions - I would say to not continue dosing - hard I know but most of the bottled meds are actually slightly toxic to the fish - just more so to the problem your trying to fix - a bit like radiotherapy.

If he seems happy enough and is eating etc - just do what your doing and keep on top of keeping the water good - in time, his tail will continue to heal but as I said - it may not look 100% how it did before - and some bettas even when theyve never been 'ill' look like theyve been shredded - its just the growth pattern of the indivdual.

As long as you feed him and his water is good - he'll be fine - just watch closely for a couple of weeks - if you wanted to err on the side of caution - id suggest (yes yes - i do have shares Very Happy) a tiny dose of melafix and pimafix (herbal treatments - I never got my fish to smoke canabis so this is as good as it gets Very Happy) every other day (eg a quater of the labelled dose)

Its enough to stop a fresh outbreak of finrot or secondary fungus infection without being hard on the fish or filters etc - and maybe just a slight boost to the fishes self repair kit Wink

But nature n time/patience are probably the best remedies

BTW _ I seem to remember you asking about tanks for around £50

well - this price on this one is more but Pets at home are much cheaper - I got my tank (same as this one for my bettas etc) for £45 from P@H

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/arcadia-tank-aquarium-p-1588.html
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 am

Actually, P@H have got some lovely tanks with stands in at the mo for a very reasonable price - including filters, heater etc. Was very tempted the other day to come home with one More Betta Help Needed Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Hiya kerry, good that your fish is starting to get a bit betta Smile

I would not treat for fin rot any more if he seems to have improved. The most important thing for keeping your fish well is to keep the water clean, so carry on doing that, and as Rich says, maybe try a bit of melafix to keep things ticking over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Betta Help Needed   More Betta Help Needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Betta Help Needed
Page 1 of 1