Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Noobie help needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 am

Hiya everyone, noobie here Very Happy .

Would love a bit of advice please. I cycled my tank using a filter that had been used in another tank (not mine). The tank cycled in about 12 days which was really quiock I think. I checked the water on Friday and had an Ammonia of about 4-5ppm, but on Saturday I got a 0 reading for ammonia and nitrites too.

I went to get some fish - 6 platties and 6 rasboras but today when I tested the water I have a bit of ammonia and nitrites. Why would that be?

Do I need to do a water change or is a small reading of these ok?

How often should I be doing water changes anyway, if the readings are ok - do you need to change 'good' water?

One of the platties keeps hiding under the filter, is it sick or is this normal?

What are the winning numbers for the lottery lol??

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks anyway,

David
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 am

Hi David Noobie help needed 3199

When you say the tank cycled in 12 days...were you adding pure ammonia?
To have a reading after adding fish...their waste must be more than the source of ammonia you were adding before to cycle the tank. Seems strange though if the ammonia was at 5ppm on the friday. That suggests there is enough beneficial bacteria to cope with the amount of fish you added..but apparently not in your case.
If you have any readings for ammonia & nitrIte (what are they?) you need to do a water change to get that to 0-0.
I change abot 25% in my community tank weekly. How much are you feeding & how often? Is there any food left uneaten in the tank after feeding?

The winning lottery numbers are 1,5,7,15,21,28 Wink

sorry for all the questions but you did ask, lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 5:58 am

Hi David. Noobie help needed 3199 to TFF

If you read the Sticky about cycling with fish, you'll see that daily water changes of at least 50% are recommended plus adding salt after each water change will help with the nitrite toxicity. Smile
Back to top Go down

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:30 am

munchycarrot wrote:
Hi David Noobie help needed 3199

When you say the tank cycled in 12 days...were you adding pure ammonia?
To have a reading after adding fish...their waste must be more than the source of ammonia you were adding before to cycle the tank. Seems strange though if the ammonia was at 5ppm on the friday. That suggests there is enough beneficial bacteria to cope with the amount of fish you added..but apparently not in your case.
If you have any readings for ammonia & nitrIte (what are they?) you need to do a water change to get that to 0-0.
I change abot 25% in my community tank weekly. How much are you feeding & how often? Is there any food left uneaten in the tank after feeding?

The winning lottery numbers are 1,5,7,15,21,28 Wink

sorry for all the questions but you did ask, lol

Are you sure about those numbers - that doesnt look like a winning line to me lol!

Wow, you lot are quick to reply, thankyou Very Happy

* I added ammonia up to a level of 2-3ppm. I thought with it being a 'used' filter I might overdose it by dosing it up to 5ppm.
* Todays results were ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0.25
* Ive just done a 25% water change
* I feed twice a day, a couple of pinches. Most of it is eaten, but the odd bit does get to the bottom.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 7:45 am

Any left over food should be taken out or it will add to the ammonia levels. Maybe feed just once every other day, taking out any uneaten food.
I would do another test tomorrow & if there are any readings other than 0-0 for the 2 tests, do a 50% water change. It should settle nicely with daily water changes until you get the 0-0.
Do you know your nitrAte reading at all?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 am

What sort of test kit do you have david because the test STRIPS are not accurate, maybe theyre the reason for the up and down readings??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:08 am

One of the reasons that I only feed every other day is so that the fish have to forage for missed food on the non-feeding days and this makes sure there's very little waste. Wink
Back to top Go down

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:37 pm

phishy07 wrote:
What sort of test kit do you have david because the test STRIPS are not accurate, maybe theyre the reason for the up and down readings??

Hiya phishy, I have the API 5in1 Water Testing Strips. I thought API was a good make for this sort of stuff? What should I get instead?
Back to top Go down

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 pm

munchycarrot wrote:
Any left over food should be taken out or it will add to the ammonia levels. Maybe feed just once every other day, taking out any uneaten food.
I would do another test tomorrow & if there are any readings other than 0-0 for the 2 tests, do a 50% water change. It should settle nicely with daily water changes until you get the 0-0.
Do you know your nitrAte reading at all?

Hello munchycarrot, maybe I have been a bit generous with the grub then :lol: . I will leave off feeding them for a day now. The Nitrate is 20. I did a water change this morning, do I just check it again tomorrow, or later on today?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:46 pm

That's fine for nitrate (anything less than 40ppm is considered ok). Just cut back on the feeding and test again tomorrow, David. Smile
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 5:44 am

It has been said/known that the testing STRIPS arent as accurate as the liquid testing, but i havent used the API strips so I wouldnt know, just read problems in past posts in other forums that their stats are all over and inaccurate and they use the strips.

Someone might have both on here to comment on their accuracy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 am

When I was in the initial stages of setting up a tank, I ONLY used the liquid tests as they're more accurate. But now I just dip an API stick in the tank every so often to check that everything is ok. If any of the readings are off, I use the relevant liquid test for a more thorough analysis. Wink

The liquid tests are much cheaper in the long run so are probably more advisable with a new tank as you'll be testing so often. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Noobie help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noobie help needed   Noobie help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noobie help needed
Page 1 of 1