Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big problems, please help!

Go down 
+2
Mary
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Big problems, please help! Empty
PostSubject: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:15 am

First post but please help! We got a tank about 4 months ago and got an angelfish, a yellow cichlid, some shark type of fish with a red tail. We also got some danios but they have all disappeared now and I didnt find any of their bodied so I think they were eaten. All was ok and we have had no poblems, but now the Oscar is attacking everything. He is getting quite big and the angelfish keeps hiding all the time in the plants.

Do oscars get mean as they get bigger and is he going to keep attacking all the other fish?

Please help as we dont know what to do!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 am

Hello Bravo, and welcome to TFF. I'm sorry your first post is about a problem, but you have a bad mix of fish in there I think.

Oscars can grow huge and will eat anything they can get their big mouths round - it is probably where your missing fish went and he will probably go for the other fish in there too.

What size tank do you have? If you are going to try and keep this fish you will need a big tank, but they will uproot/destroy any plants etc that you put in there - your angel fish will run out of places to hide.

Have you any idea what the other type of cichlid is that you have. If you have a look in the cichlid section on this forum you may find a picture of one that it looks like. Have a look and let us know.

it may be that your oscar will need to be re homed Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:48 am

I think the tank is about 100 litres Diana. How big do Oscars grow to?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:51 am

Unfortunately Oscars are one species that need to kept alone or with other equally large, hardy fish. When you bought it, you should've been told this at the time. It can grow to about 40cm and is definitely not a regular community fish as you've now found out to the detriment of your other fish. Shocked

Once it gets to about 20cm, it needs to be moved to a five foot tank otherwise it will just get more aggressive and you might have to consider rehoming it. If kept alone, it does make a lovely "pet" fish and I've read many stories of Oscars interacting with their owners, being hand fed etc. but it's personal preference really as to whether you want to make that commitment. Wink
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:23 am

Oscars get HUGE and as Mary said really need at least about 40 gallons to themselves.

Suspect the oscar and angel have something to do with the vanishing fish - my oscar tried to eat a bichir just before we rehomed him.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 am

The considered minimum for oscars is at least 90 gallons. You might want to think about re homing him as that tank is way to small! BTW do you know what kind of cichlid the yellow one is? Very Happy Big problems, please help! 3199 to TFF by the way
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:17 am

Throw the oscar my way :lol: welcome to the forum btw and sorry you've had some bad advice
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:39 am

phishy07 wrote:
Throw the oscar my way :lol: welcome to the forum btw and sorry you've had some bad advice

Not literally i hope!!
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 am

nah not literally, obviously lol
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 am

Good cos that would be silly Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Sorry to ask about this again, but how do I rehome him? I need to do something quickly because he keeps chasing the other fish in the tank, even the shark and I thought that would be able to look after itself.

I dont know what the yellow fish is, I think it is some sort of cichlid though - the pet shop said it was. Do I need to get rid of that one too. Which fish is allright to keep?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Hiya Bravo, have you asked the shop where you bought them if they will take them back? They might do if you dont want any money for them.

I am no expert on cichlids, but I believe that they are best kep in a tank on their own - not mixed with other species of fish. I have alse heard that Angelfish can be aggressive towards some other species too, so you have a bit of a bad mix I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 am

Thanks Diana, looks like we are going to have to have a big rethink about this, thanks for all the information.
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 am

also, try the ad mag its free to list things and you'll defo get some money back on there for the oscar depending on his size
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:05 am

or aquarist classifieds Wink
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 am

Take them all back to the LFS (local fish shop) assuming you bought them from a shop.
Sharks need massive tanks, as do Oscars (which has been said already) Also yes, Yellow cichlid (labidochromis caeruleas possibly) need a species tank, not mixed. Angels need a very tall tank with not very small tank mates. I'd definitely empty all of the fish out & start over. Post here what kinds of fish you like & there will be plenty of advice for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:09 am

munchycarrot wrote:
Take them all back to the LFS (local fish shop) assuming you bought them from a shop.
Sharks need massive tanks, as do Oscars (which has been said already) Also yes, Yellow cichlid (labidochromis caeruleas possibly) need a species tank, not mixed. Angels need a very tall tank with not very small tank mates. I'd definitely empty all of the fish out & start over. Post here what kinds of fish you like & there will be plenty of advice for you Very Happy

OBEY MC respect respect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big problems, please help!   Big problems, please help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big problems, please help!
Page 1 of 1