Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tank problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:42 am

HELP!!! Can anyone give me some idea what is going wrong with my tank? I have been having problems keeping the water params as they need to be - there is always a bit of ammonia for some reason even though I do weekly changes.. The filter packed in a few weeks ago but I managaed to get it working again but since then I have had problems.

Now a coupole of my fish seem to be getting ill - nothing specific but they just dont seem as lively as normal.

What could be causing the constant ammonia and would this be affecting the fish - the ammonia is reading at about .25.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 am

food? and fish poo. If you keep doing WCs your ammonia will drop to zero.

Ammonia is highly toxic to a fish.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 am

Think i know what the problem is!! Do you have exact water params?? How long was the filter off before you got it working again. What i think has happened is the filter bacteria has dyed off while the filter was broken so it is now cycling again. Keep up frequent WCs and maybe cut down the feeding bit? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:47 am

You just beat me to it matt! Think you might be right. jammy, you need to do daily water checks and water changes until everything has settled down.

Your fish will be getting affected by it if it has been going on a while but if you do the changes daily (at least 50%) they should be ok
Back to top Go down

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:25 am

So how long should I do this for? It's been going on a while - mind you I havent been doing daily water changes. Would using something like ammo-lok be any good? I dont know how it workds but have seen it in the local P@H
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:36 am

It can take a while jammy. I wouldnt bother with ammo-lock, just stick to daily water changes, and as has been mentioned cut back on feeding to about twice a week.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 5:00 am

As above!! What is happening is that your tank is cycling again but with your fish in which isnt great! But if you keep up daily WCs it should be fine! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 pm

I know this thread is getting on a bit but I just wondered if things have settled now Jammy? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

Tank problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank problems   Tank problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank problems
Page 1 of 1