Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Platty problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 pm

I dont know if I have a problem with one of my fish. I have a fish that looks really heavily pregnant but just doesnt seem to be giving birth. Her belly is huge, and has been for ages now, about 3 weeks I think, she looks like she's going to burst. She seems to be swimming a bit funny and is getting chased by the male a lot. She is eating ok. Any ideas???
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm

from another site

"Platies have babies about every 4 to 8 weeks. Once her belly gets a "boxy" look or a little flatish on the bottom, she should drop babies in less than a week. They also hide more when ready. Those are signs that she needs to go in the breeding net. The male should not be with her at delivery. He's already done his part and will eat the babies. She will eat them too so you don't want to leave her with them for more than a few hours. Once she seems to be finished and recovered a bit, remove her to go back in the tank. You can but a piece of a live plant in there for them to hide from her and for her to feel less exposed too. It's her nature to hide when the babies come so she may not drop them readily if she can't feel like she is hiding. "
Back to top Go down

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Mmm. thanks for that GD. Perhaps I should put a few more plants in there for her. Ive got some silky ones that might do, I cant take her out of the tank, dont have another one to put her in.

Ive read somewhere that breeding nets are bad, and cause the fishes a load of stress, but that quote recommends them. Wonder which is right?? dunno
Back to top Go down

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 am

think most say they are bad mate. ho about getting a cheapo spare tank. you can get them for not much cash and they are useful for sick/new fish too.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 am

its always about space tho driver for some people - like myself
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Doesnt have to be big though GD. One of my spare tanks is 30/24/29cm so fits ok on a kitchen worktop. It goes back into the shed when its not in use.

If possible its always adviseable to have some sort of spare tank at hand - either for fry, a sick fish or when you want to add new stock to your tank. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 10:03 pm

I recently downsized my Q tank from a 28L one (which I turned into another small community tank) to an 18L one. It's a slimline model (45x40x12) tank so takes up even less room than a conventional rectangular tank. IMO it's crucial especially if you intend to add a new fish to an established community that might be harbouring disease - you run the risk of infecting the whole lot. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Platty problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Platty problems   Platty problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Platty problems
Page 1 of 1