Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dead Platty

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Dead Platty Empty
PostSubject: Dead Platty   Dead Platty Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:35 am

Ive just gone to feed the fish and noticed one of my plattys lying flat against the side of the filter, not moving. He was fine this morning, swimming and eating so wht could have happened.

He looks really skinny when I looked at him out of the tank, and sort of bent in a slight u shape.

Do I need to dose the tank or anything?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Dead Platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Platty   Dead Platty Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:57 am

Aw, sorry to hear that, tardis. It's always frustrating when the fish die for no apparent reason. You don't need to dose the tank but I'd keep an eye on the other fish and make sure they're all eating and swimming normally.

Oh and as a rule of thumb, it's usually advisable not to add any new fish for at least a month to a tank that a fish has died in i.e. the standard quarantine period just in case any other fish develop symptoms.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Dead Platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Platty   Dead Platty Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 am

Sorry to hear that tardis. It might be worth a quick ammonia test, just to be safe Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Dead Platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Platty   Dead Platty Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 pm

I've just had the same thing happen to me this morning tardis. I was not surprised to be honest because it was the little male platty that had been bullied when in the big tank. I had moved him out and put in in the q tank.

Yesterday he seemed fine, swimming around with the new mollies I have in quarantine and eating etc, but this morning he was dead.

It's something that you'll get used to the longer you keep fish, and as long as you know that you are looking after the fish properly, keeping the water and tank clean etc, then that is all you can do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dead Platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Platty   Dead Platty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead Platty
Page 1 of 1