Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cut on platty

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm

One of my plattys has what looks like a small cut on its side. It looks quite deep and is quite open. It is swimming ok, and still feeding well but I dont know what this is or what I should do about it.

Any ideas? I dont want to have any infection or anything going on in the tank - I have been problem free mostly up to now. No
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Melafix and pimafix combo wont do any harm - just to be on the safe side.

Dont bother netting and Q'ing it for a cut - the stress will do more harm than good - Id suggest a water change today - then throw in the M&P combo - you wont need to treat the fish as in a full course of a week - I have found with even the worst torn fins (mainly on plecs) that three days is enough

Im sure the platy will be fine - oh and feed ye olde garlic too Wink

On this note - i read that garlic is now being pushed at the ultimate cure for marine ich - i know were not talking about ich here - just a little note of geekiness lol!
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 2:30 am

thanx rich any info is good info.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

If it's just a clean cut then as above charley - he might just have rubbed himself on an ornament or somesuch.

Just keep an eye on it in case it starts to look a bit dodgy (white/fluffy/ get bigger etc)..
Back to top Go down

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Im not sure what is going on with this litle fish Sad The cut just isnt getting any better and now looks a bit whitish but I am not sure if it is fluffy or not - cant get a really good view of it.

He isnt feeding as wll and seems to spend a lot of time on the bottom of the tank in the corner so obviously isnt as well as before. Do I need to change the meds and if so what to?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 10:44 pm

personally - without sounding mean - I think its time to call it quits with this fish.

Its now suffering - unable to cope and if it has an open wound - other fish are gonna have a go at it as well.

You could try to be fast and net it and pout it into isolation - mainly for peace n quiet and you can then treat it however you see fit - i wouldnt use salt treatment - it sounds too weak to cope.

So personally id think about finishing is real quick n clean or isolation and treatment - but I have found when a normally mid to upper level fish clings to substrate and doesnt do much - its often a bad sign.

BTW what appears to be small to us could be big to the fish - its all a matter of scale (excuse unintended pun) the fact its deep means all sorts of other issues could be involved - internal injuries/infections of all kinds

sorry to be the vearer of the the doom n gloom news - i hope im wrong
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Cut on platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut on platty   Cut on platty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cut on platty
Page 1 of 1