Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

sick platty

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:29 pm

hello everyone, first post so sorry if this is thr wrong bit of the forum, not sure if it counts as an emergency or not!
Ive had fish for about six months and one of the very first ones I got is now sick. Its a female platty, and she has always been well, and had loads of babies.

Lately though she has started to lose weight and hasnt had any babies for ages. She isnt eating as much and spends a lot of time hiding behind some of the plants. She swims as if she is stiff and has started runbing herself against the gravel and ornamesnts but I cant see any whitespots.

Nitrate 0, Ammonia 0, PH 7.8

It's a Juwell 160 tank, and the other fish I have are 1 male platty, 4 female plattys, 6 neon tetras, 6 harlequin ras, 2 Bristlenose plecs, 4 shrimps.

Any idea what I can do?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi oldtrout...

I assume you mean nitrIte is 0.. do you know what the nitrAte reading is? If that's the case, the water seems fine.
How much & how often do you do water changes?

The platty could be getting to the point of old age & depending on how tha tank was cycled would make a difference if she was a cycle pioneer. Her life span would be considerably shorter if she has cycled the tank.
I hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:19 pm

Hiya munchycarrot, thanks for your help. Yeah, sorry I did mean the nitrite os 0, sorry about that. I dont know what the nitrate is as I dont have the test for that atm, but I do weekly water changes of about 20-30% so think it should be ok if the other readings are (what do you think, is that right?)

She was one of the fish I cycled the tank with, but the others are all fine. Is there anything I could dose the tank with to help her?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:25 pm

You could probably do with keeping an eye on the Nitrate and ph too just to make sure that everything is fine, but it's good that the ammonia and Nitrite are 0.

As munchy says, it could just be that this is a failing fish, especially if she has had lots of fry and went through the cyling of the tank too.

I have had a few plattys that have shown similar symptoms and tbh they have all died.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:00 am

This happened very quickly! I have seen this with other fish and to use the word 'failing' is one way to put i! Just keep an eye on her Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 am

Hiya again, thanks for all your help with this. There is no change in the platty, but I have bought something called melafix, as well as something called Interpet Number 9 (recomended by the pet shop). Can I use both of these together?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 am

You could, although I am not sure shy you want to use them? If you think there may be some sort of internal parasitic problem then the N9 is what you need, but if you have a fish with cutsom or fungal problems etc them the Melafix is what you need.

Are all your other fish ok?

As has been said, if this fish went through the cycling of your tank, and has also had a lot of fry, it might just be that she is 'failing' and there is nothing you can do.
Back to top Go down

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 4:01 am

Well I ended up putting the fish to sleep today. It wasn't able to swim hardly, and not eating so I followed the clove oil method and it worked really well.

None of the other fish are ill so it must have been a failing fish as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help and advice anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 am

Sorry about that, oldtrout, but well done you for euthanizing it. I wish I'd done this a few days ago when I noticed that one of my Rams was failing 'coz now I can't find it at all so I presume it's died and is decomposing somewhere in the tank... Shocked
Back to top Go down

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 6:20 am

Ah Mary, is this another one? Didn't one of them die a week or so ago?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 6:51 am

Yep and I lost two yesterday - the Ram and a Molly that I had for over a year. It's a heartbreaking but also very rewarding hobby and luckily the pros outweigh the cons. It just works out very expensive replacing fish but I suppose on the plus side, it gives you a chance to try out new species 'coz I'll be getting a new plec to take the place of the Ram that died. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 8:03 am

I can see a branch of Plecaholics Anonymous opening up on here soon! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 am

Diana wrote:
I can see a branch of Plecaholics Anonymous opening up on here soon! Very Happy

lol! The P.A's
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 5:57 am

All those interested in holding the position of Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and Events Organiser please write your name below! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 6:39 am

Matty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 am

You want to be all of them them Matt? :lol:
Back to top Go down

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 am

megalomania rules!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:11 am

Diana wrote:
You want to be all of them them Matt? :lol:

You know me!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sick platty Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick platty   sick platty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sick platty
Page 1 of 1