Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sick Platty - Again??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Sick Platty - Again?? Empty
PostSubject: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 am

Hiya everyone. I have been treating my fish for whitespot - protozin, and stopped treating about 2 weeks or so ago. I have done water changes since then and all the water is fine.

Today one of the plattys is looking unwell again' just lying on the gravel under the filter and I think I saw a white mark on his side earlier.

Could they be getting whitespot again and if so why? I lowered the temperature during trwatment because the fish were looking worse - could that have made a difference? Is it damaging to treart the fish again so soon after the first lot of medicines?

Id appreciate any help, thanks
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 am

AFAIK the parasite lifecycle is about 10-14 days so it's quite likely that it wasn't fully eradicated the first time. Just to be on the safe side, keep a close eye on the affected fish and its tankmates and, if necessary, repeat the treatment. After finishing the treatment, did you run carbon in the filter to remove excess meds? That's a good thing to do to ensure all traces are gone after finishing a course of treatment. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 5:30 am

Also, did you give the tank all the doses as per instructions? Sometimes people think the fish seem better and so dont finish the course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:39 am

Hiya, and thanks for your replies. I did follow the instructions Diana, so they have had all they were supposed to get, but it does looks as if it's another outbreak. One fish died this morning and some of the others dont look quite right. Funnily though the fish that died wasn't the one with the spot on it dunno .

I didnt put any carbon in the filter Mary - would that have made a difference? I just did a water change.

Will it be ok to start treating again? Should I dose for a bit longer than the instructions say?

I'd appreciate a bit of advice please.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:11 am

Sorry to hear that Angel. Have you been keeping a check on your water stats - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

I would start treating again. I am not sure about carrying it on for longer than recommended - hopefully someone will be able to answer that for you.

Hope it all settles soon.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:14 am

Angel wrote:
I didnt put any carbon in the filter Mary - would that have made a difference? I just did a water change.

Not really at this point since you did water changes but it's always useful to run carbon once you're finished a course of meds. just to remove any excess. If you're definitely sure that it's whitespot then it would be ok to do another course just make sure that you follow the instructions to the letter and increase the tank temp to 29/30C. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick Platty - Again??   Sick Platty - Again?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sick Platty - Again??
Page 1 of 1