Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Attempt to breed amano shrimp.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Empty
PostSubject: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 am

Ok well While my new shrimps were in quarantine I noticed one was carrying eggs so as they were ending their quarantine I decided I would use the Q tank to try and see if I could get any live baby shrimp (not that I am expecting to as the process seems quite complicated but I'll give it a try.

On Hogmanay the adult shrimp let go of all her eggs so tonight I have tansferred her to the main tank and changed the Q tank into a brackish/salty tank for the eggs (or whatever they are called at this stage).

I can see little things moving about and they go towards the light (which I have read they are supposed to do) so so far so good and now I will just wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 am

Well best of luck with that, Gypsy. Let us know how you get on because I didn't even bother trying to save the eggs when my female amano shed them. If you make a go of breeding the babies, I might attempt it if she gets a second load. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks Mary, I'm not overly optimistic though as I certainly wasn't prepared (the salt level is guess work as I haven't got one of those refractor things or whatever they are called) and I'm just sort of following a page I found on the net, but thought I might as well try as the Q tank would be sitting empty anyway.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 7:08 am

Well good on you Gypsy - what an interesting experiment! Keep us up to date wont you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:11 pm

oh well very short experiment, I can't see any sign of anything in the tank and haven;t for a couple of days so I think my attempt has failed miserably (bit like I expected to be honest). I may try again if I find another shrimp with eggs, although I have yet to see any of the amanos that I transferred to the main tank :| they are good at hiding lol.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Oh that's a shame Gypsy. What do you think the problem was - or are there too many variables as far as water quality goes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Not really sure as I couldn't do water tests as I didn't have a salty test kit, the salt levels were just guess work and I think my 3 yr old was adding extras to it as well (I found a disgusting mix of the green algae stuff and sugar I think on a spoon and some round the lid of the tank) so all in all I don't think they had much of a chance.

Reminder: keep Q tank out of kids reach in future lol.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Ah, well he (she?) was only trying to help:) Better luck next time.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 9:17 am

Ah sorry to hear that but at least you gave it a shot, Gypsy. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attempt to breed amano shrimp.   Attempt to breed amano shrimp. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attempt to breed amano shrimp.
Page 1 of 1