Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Egg-laden Amano Shrimp

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:03 am

To my surprise, I noticed that one of the female shrimp in my Betta Bachelor Pad is heavily laden with eggs. Now I know that the Amano shrimp fry need brackish water conditions to survive and John is trying to persuade me to go for this. I do have the option of moving the WCMM out of the coldwater Q tank into the main goldfish tank. I could then put a heater into the small tank and once the temperature was correct and I've added salt to the water, I could move the "pregnant" female into it. What do you think? Should I have a go at it? Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes, i would. I know nothing about shrimp but i'm sure it'll be fine, you're a bit of a pro Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:32 pm

Isn't she just Shocked !!

Of course you should go for it Mary - what else have you got to do with your time? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Oh that's cool! that must be great to see Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:03 am

When you say 'laiden with eggs' it conjures up a picure of a little shrimp with a huge stack of eggs, one on top of the other, wobbling as she walks along.
Please enlighten me with a pic, i have never seen them tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 am

Yeah........WE WANT PICS!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 4:49 am

Go for it!! Pics s'il vous plait Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:07 am

Actually, I must try and get a photo 'coz it does look cool. Basically, she's carrying this huge cluster of pinhead sized eggs under her abdomen and holding them in place with her back legs.

A thought just occurred to me though - surely one small shrimp in a 15L tank won't be enough to keep the filters going? I don't have any fish that can go in with her so I might have to have a rethink. I'll do a bit of research in the meantime. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Maybe adding a bit extra food with the single shrimp will help as it will be like waste wont it (maybe not though I'm not sure).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 7:16 am

Dont want to sound daft but will it matter? I doubt that there will be a hell of a bioload from just one shrimp so your water is not going to deteriate quick is it?

Cant you just keep an eye on the water and just have the filter running just in case?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 8:51 am

Well I've since discovered that trying to rear amano shrimp is quite difficult as they need to be slowly weaned from full saltwater back to freshwater and I'm not sure if I have the patience or know-how to do so. I'll have to do a little bit of research first I guess. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 7:03 am

I didn't know Amano's had to be raised in saltwater? Do you have to put a bit of salt in the tropical tank for them too? I think I have read that some tropical fish like a bit of salt added (is that right?), so is the same needed for these too?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:40 am

Well in nature, the amano shrimp eggs are hatched in seawater and then the fry find their back to freshwater rivers hence why the conditions for rearing them are so particular. AFAIK this isn't the case with cherry shrimp fry though which can be reared in freshwater. Smile

As for fish and salt - this is often recommended for species such as swordtails and mollies which apparently prefer brackish water conditions but I have both and have never added salt for either species and they're thriving. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 1:24 am

Thanks for that Mary Very Happy . it seems every time I come on here I end up asking loads of questions, but I have learnt such a lot already, its like bein back in school :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 5:43 am

have you decided what to do about raising the eggs Mary? It would be great to see them wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 pm

Did you ever get a pic Mary as I think one of my shrimp may be carrying eggs but they look dark and any pics I have seen the eggs look white :|
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:57 am

hey a pic would be really cool, I've never seen pregnant shrimp. In fact I never thought that you could keep shrimp as part of a tropical set up.

Could they go in with a betta?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:41 am

Oh shrimp are fine with a Betta. I have seven in with mine and he takes no notice of them. They do a good job keeping the tank clean. I wasn't able to get a photo in the end and now I've noticed that she's shed the eggs so if she does acquire a new lot, I'll try getting a photo then. Btw, Gypsy the eggs were white. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:24 am

Thanks Mary, thats what I keep finding although I think I have found a couple of pics now where the eggs look darker. Just for anyone esle here I'll put a pic of mine up (not that its a very good pic I'm hopeless with cameras).

Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Shrimp

Looks like she is letting go of some of her eggs as I have found some teeny floating whitish things which is a bit weird, so now I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can manage to keep any of them alive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Oh wow, that is great! I would love to have a crack at raising some of them, but I guess I'll have to get used to looking after fish first! Very Happy . Could I get some of these when I get my first lot of fish then?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 4:22 am

Shrimp are great, and come in all sorts of sizes so just make sure you don't get some that grow into 7ft long monsters! :lol:

Only joking! I love the cherry shrimp I have although quickly learnt that they need to be kept in a seperate tank while they grow a bit otherwise just end up a a tasty treat for the fish! Sad
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 4:29 am

thats what they are for aint it a tasty treat ????

nothing better than having a nice live shrimp for dinner lol
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:22 am

OY!!!! Mad That is not allowed! affraid

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:37 am

Well sorry to burst your bubble and sorry if anyone has said it already, but Amano shrimp babies need brackish water to survive. mine have laid but lost the babies.

Anyways, theyre moving house soon. hehe
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:48 am

oh yer forgot about those lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Egg-laden Amano Shrimp   Egg-laden Amano Shrimp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Egg-laden Amano Shrimp
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next