Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dying shrimp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 am

Ok on Thursday I got some shrimp (supposed to be 10 amano and 8 cherry, but not sure exactly what I've got as I got a few extras Smile ) I put them in my q tank and all seemed to be going well and had counted there to be 21, then yesterday I discovered one cherry shrimp had died, now I have just discovered another cherry one has died, is it just one of those things or maybe a bad batch.

Test results are all okay

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 10
GH 6
KH 3
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:48 am

Oh Hi Gypsy - I have just written a post about my Cherry Shrimp too.

I am sorry yours are dying - they're lovely little things aren't they? I had 10 but only 5 survived but I dont know if they had illness or were an appetiser for something as they just went in the big tank.

What are you feeding them on? If the water is ok, as it is, then it can only be illness/shock due to the move etc, I would think. They're so small when you buy them that they are probably not able to hande all the stress etc.

Just my idea mind you - not Gospel! Smile My remaining 5 are thriving and now having babies, so I hope yours do the same.
Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 am

They are lovely and I know already that if for some reason they don't survive the quarantine I WILL buy more.

So far they have just had a little flake and a bit of an algae tab as I don't want to overfeed them but then again I dont want to starve them either.

oopps hit the post button to early lol
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:39 am

In my shrimpy post I was mentioning about my baby shrimo and whether I should put them in the q tank as I dont want them to get eaten. I do wonder though if there would be enough 'muck' in there for them to live on.

Obviously I would feed them too, but I wondr if they need access to all the detritus that is in the bottom of a mature tank??
Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 am

Thats a point maybe they do as I have nothing except a thin layer of gravel in my tank.

Maybe you could take some of your "muck" out of your other tank and put it into the q tank.

I think I might try that with mine just in case and then worry about finding them later although then I might not be able to see if I am losing more, oh the problems and no staright forwards answers :| .
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:49 am

Yeah, thanks Gypsy - have just been given the same advice by MC (great minds think alike Smile ).

I think I will probably take some of the gravel which will have loads of muck in it, and they can have a rummage about in that.

Catching the little beggars will be the worst thing though! Mad
Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:53 am

I bet it will.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 am

Awww, sorry to hear that Gypsy...hopefully the mucky gravel will sort them out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 5:01 am

Just checking. Have you checked that the 'dead shrimp' are their malted skins! I had a fright with mine when i thought it was dead but realised it had only malted! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 am

Oh good point, Diana. I thought the same thing when I first found one...in fact, the other night, I found the new Betta tentatively poking one of the shed skins, prob trying to figure out if he could eat it. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:43 am

lol, the mucky gravel was for diana & matty posted the thread about the skins malting. Are you very stressed Mary...? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 am

munchycarrot wrote:
lol, the mucky gravel was for diana & matty posted the thread about the skins malting. Are you very stressed Mary...?

Doh...Christmas dementia... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Matty yes it definately was shrimps and not just the skins, I did wonder about that at first but then when I did a head count I was pretty sure (well as sure as you can be when there is 20 of the little blighters running around).

Seems to have settled down now and haven't lost anymore so maybe they were just stressed (have now added a plant for cover).
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:23 pm

Glad things are settling gypsy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Glad to hear that, Gypsy. Adding places to hide will definitely help them feel more secure. I have seven shrimp in with my Betta in a 15L tank and even though there's only two fake plants in there, they still manage to disguise themselves very well 'coz the only time that I see all seven is when I add cucumber to the tank (a little tip there as they love it); that's how I noticed the female amano carrying the eggs. Smile
Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:40 am

How many eggs do they usually lay at a time Mary? I dont know anything about shrimp, (or anything else really Very Happy ) but they do look great little things in the lfs when I see them.

If they have loads of babies (fry?) what are you going to do with them?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:15 am

Well judging by the amount of eggs she's carrying, there must be several dozen. Sadly, having researched the breeding a little, it's a lot more difficult than I thought so I won't be breeding them so I guess if the fry do hatch, they'll be lunch for the Betta... silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dying shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying shrimp   Dying shrimp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dying shrimp
Page 1 of 1