Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cherry shrimp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 am

I meant to post this this morning, but forgot. I was looking in the tank last night, after I had turned the tank lights off, and the 5 Cherry Shrimp all were out and about. Then I spotted 2 little baby shrimp mooching around on the floor of the tank! Smile

I was really chuffed to see them! I dont know if they will survive or not, I may set up the spare tank for them tomorrow, and put them in there (if I can catch them) just to give them a better chance.

I was wondering though whether that would be the right thing to do as there wont be any build up of bits of food etc that there is in the main tank and so they may not get enough to eat?

Any suggestions - I really dont want them to end up as Platty lunch Sad
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:18 am

Ooohhh congrats Diana.

Can you put some decor or something from the main tank in the spare tank... just a bit of gravel maybe Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 am

That might be a good idea MC, Thanks.

They are cute little beggars. I get a real buzz out of seeing all the fish and shrimp doing what comes naturally Smile , it sort of lets you know that the tank is an ok place for them, which is nice!
Back to top Go down

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:47 am

Well done Diana, your little shrimpies are obvoiusly very happy (unlike mine Sad ). I hope I manage to get some babies out of mine someday.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 am

Well, dont forget that I lost half of my original lot so I didn't do that well originally!
Back to top Go down

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:02 am

I love these little shrimp - saw some in my lfs the other week, but I wasnt sure if they needed any special care or not.

Do they take a lot of looking after or are they easy? The ones I saw in the lfs were really small and pale, but the pictures I have seen of them they were a really bright red. Is this just because they were babies?

There I go asking questions again!!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 8:55 am

In general, shrimp need no special care. I have loads of amano shrimp (grow to about 2") and they're just brilliant little characters, zipping around the place grabbing the fish food and keeping the tank free of detritus. The only maintenance I do is removing the shed body casts that I find every so often, a good sign that the shrimp are thriving and growing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Well I have looked for thm the past two night and not seen them so I think my little shrimpy babies have been breakfast. probably for the platty's who were eyeing them up in a less than friendly way the other night!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Well, at the best of times shrimp are expert hiders and I would imagine that cherry shrimp babies are tiny so don't give up hope yet. :|
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cherry shrimp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry shrimp   Cherry shrimp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cherry shrimp
Page 1 of 1