Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Green tank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 4:42 am

Hiya everyone, nice forum and I am a bit of a newbie so would like some help. We got a small tank about 5 months ago now and have had nothing but trouble with it since. I just cant keep the tank clean. Its about 30litres and is just covered with algae and the water is green tinged all the time. The algea is on everything, so I was told to get a catfish and I also have a cherry barb I have a barb, and two guppies and that is all so I know I am not overloading the tank. It has an in lid filter with sort of cartridges in it which I change about once a month when it gets really dirty, change the water every fortnight and give the tank a good clean - ornaments and gravel about once a month too. It stays clean looking for about a week and then the water starts to go green again.

Please help me get this sorted.
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 8:50 am

does it sit in front of direct sunlight ?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:37 pm

bloggy wrote:
Hiya everyone, nice forum and I am a bit of a newbie so would like some help. We got a small tank about 5 months ago now and have had nothing but trouble with it since. I just cant keep the tank clean. Its about 30litres and is just covered with algae and the water is green tinged all the time. The algea is on everything, so I was told to get a catfish and I also have a cherry barb I have a barb, and two guppies and that is all so I know I am not overloading the tank. It has an in lid filter with sort of cartridges in it which I change about once a month when it gets really dirty, change the water every fortnight and give the tank a good clean - ornaments and gravel about once a month too. It stays clean looking for about a week and then the water starts to go green again.

Please help me get this sorted.

Hiya bloggy .

A couple of things come to mind. First, as kbekl has mentioned, if your tank is in direct sinlight then algae will just thrive and be difficult to get rid of. Second, if you are completely changing you filter cartridges for new ever month then your tank is never properly cycled. There is information on that in the Aquarium Articles section, it might be worth having a read of that. Third, it is only a small tank, and small tanks are harder to keep clean that larger ones. I would increase the number of times that you change the water to at least weekly, doing a 50% gravel clean every week too. Dont forget to dechlorinate the water each time too.

Finally (sorry there's a lot!), you say you have a catfish - do you know what type it is? Some can grow quite a size and may be too big for your tank, and do you know what your water stats are - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Oh, and finally, finally Green tank 3199 to TFF Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks everyone Very Happy

Ok, the tank isnt in direct sunlight although the living room is quite a bright room.

If I am not supposed to change the cartridges, what do I do when they get mucky??

As for the catfish, I am not sure what it is but the shop said it doesnt grow big and so would be ok for a small tank.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 8:38 am

Hi Bloggy. Welcome to TFF. wave

Do you have real or fake plants in the tank? Also, how long do you have the tank lights on for?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 1:56 am

Hello Bloggy, What sort of tank have you got? (name/make/model etc)

Hood filters can be taken out and cleaned in a bucket of tank water (saves replacing them)
Back to top Go down

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Hiya, sorry its taken me a while to get back to you - it's just been mad at work lately!

Right, I have an AquaMode Aquarium, and use the Aquamode filters, which I change about every 4-6 weeks, as per the instructions.

http://www.aquarium-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Aqua_Mode_Series.html

The rest of the filters I wash about once a fortnight.

I have fake plants in the tank, and have the lights on for about 10 hours a night.

Does that help ata all?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 1:06 am

Personally Id reduce the light.

I myself I have a 24HR timer and i have it on at 9-10am 12-1pm 5:30-11pm.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 6:01 am

If you dont have live pkants then you dont really need lights on at all - the fish dont need them, so it would do no harm to reduce them, and just have them on for a few hours of a night for you to watch them.

I am not familiar with this type of tank or filters bloggy, but am a bit concerned that you are overcleaning the filter. If you are totally replacing half of the filter and then washing the rest of it every 2 weeks I dont know that the bacteria is getting enough time to build up.

I know that Mary wraps filter wool around her filter media and just washes that so it might be best if you try that. Hopefully she will be on later and will be able to give you a bit more info Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 6:04 am

oh, i didnt realise bloggy never had live plants. oops
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 6:10 am

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.........Pay attention please! No

:lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 6:51 am

If you only have fake plants, you don't need to have the lights on for more than 2-3 hours in the evening. That's prob why you're getting the green buildup.

You don't need to change the filter cartridges at all. That's just a gimmick on the part of the tank manufacturers to get you to spend money on consumables. You'd be far better wrapping some filter wool around the cartridge which you can then rinse every month in some siphoned off tank water and just replace it as necessary.

I have a Tetratec goldfish tank and the instructions also advise changing the filter cartridge every month. I never have - just put extra filter wool around it as described above - and I have crystal clear water. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green tank   Green tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green tank
Page 1 of 1