Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank

Go down 
+2
Diana
Rich
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Empty
PostSubject: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:04 am

OK, in my big tank... ive had it 10months now, I recently took out all the real plants, did a massive gravel clean, changes all the water (50% water changes daily for a week) and replaced fancy la,ps with standard tunes and removed co2 setup etc, and replaced with fake plants (long story, summarised by plants are agro for me)

Anyway, do we all think its possible I actually have a form of new tank syndrome? my water is now persistantly hazy, I have tried daily water changes but this isnt helping, and I have thoroughly cleaned all the filters and tubing and decor (also took out the 2d background as it was home to algae).

I dont have any algae issues in terms of hair type stuff, just this haze which is annoying me now...

any ideas/grand schemes ? I am considering getting a proper UV setup now that I have no plants to worry about, and like for my other post on the other tank, was wondering if phosphate remover may help

anyway, all ideas welcome... cheers in advance
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 am

Rich I dont know much about this stuff, but would a UV filter work - I thought it was used against green water caused by algae, or does that cover other stuff too.

Sounds like you've done a load of work on your tank lately though Rich, bet it looks great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:33 am

Looks awful with foggy water, the UV will kill most microscopic organisms, in as much as it doesnt actually kill them, it alters the dna therby stopping them reproducing/multiplying.

It does help with algae, but NOT in a planted tank as the UV also affects many of the minerals etc needed by the plants, rendering them useless.

It can also apparantly help deal with ich and other bugs too, but I am going to do more homework on this before spendong £100 on a UV system (as well as the ongoing expense of replacement tubes/sleeves etc)

I need to replace my fluval external really, I have seen a tetratec xp1200 for £80 so may well get it.

When the water is clear, I will post fresh pics, in the mean time, I also have 4 new platy fry, no dead mother this time, and two heavily preggie females, oh and a few other new fish and minus one or two...
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:36 am

Look forward to seeing the updates on that Rich
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 4:12 am

Not 100% But this happened to me and it could be because of vast changes in tank ecosystem. The plants (depending on how many you have) do a lot of things for the tank, like processing bad stuff, as well as oxygenating it.

It could be that in removing plants you tank has to get used to processing your fishes waste and doing other jobs without the plants. Hence the cloudy water.

Just a thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:17 am

I dont know if it's the same thing but I got what was called a bacterial bloom in my tank because I added fish too quick. Perhaps this could be something similar?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 am

charley wrote:
I dont know if it's the same thing but I got what was called a bacterial bloom in my tank because I added fish too quick. Perhaps this could be something similar?

I think thats similar to mine but the opposite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 am

Ah bugger, that must be annoying Rich. Is it possible that you stirred up so much stuff during the clean out, it got sucked into the filters and it's just taking a while to clear? It's happened to me on occasion when I've cleaned the filter sponges. scratch
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:04 am

i have a uv sterilizer which i got as i had green water in my tank no matter how many times i changed the water i also had a case of ich before christmas which was taking a long time to clear i found a uv on ebay its made by fish r fun the one i had is suitable for a tank upto 400 litres and i paid £36 from an ebay shop when it came there's a price sticker for £57.90 on the box also theres a new lfs opened nearby that stocks them for £60 since its been going the water is brilliant they say on the instructions to change the bulb every 6 months the ebay shop is selling them for £14
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 5:27 am

I have read a few posts about this. Is it worth getting one as part of the normal set up or is that going over the top?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 7:38 am

i have only put one in my 230 litre tank as thats the only tank i was having green water in its a deep tank and i think that is my problem my other two tanks are 60 litre and 54 litre and i have never had green water in either of them
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 7:43 am

Fishfan wrote:
I have read a few posts about this. Is it worth getting one as part of the normal set up or is that going over the top?

I would only get one if you have a real green water emergency or something like that, like Alison. Otherwise they are more suited to marine tanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank   New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Tank Syndrome in 10month old tank
Page 1 of 1