Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can i put Oscar with plec

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Can i put Oscar with plec Empty
PostSubject: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 am

hi there every one,you will be getting fed up with me asking all these questions,well here is a norther one can i put a 5 inch Oscar in with my 9 inch plec.ACER help
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:04 am

cor i can answer this YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOL

as long as the plec wont fit in O's mouth.. yay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 am

yay cheers yay diver
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:15 am

That will do for me,i have been offered one with the same colours as the one in your picture.acer yay
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:17 am

How much do you like your plec? lol

I think you run the risk of your plec getting damaged and stressed to bh, especially if your oscar grows a bit more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 am

oh no Diane i thought i said the right thing.
as i have been told i can have one dunno
hold that fish Acer.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:27 am

i knew that was too easy. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:28 am

Crying or Very sad and i thought i was being very inteligent.. hahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 am

I don't no if he would get stressed,as he is in with 4, 5 inch gold fish that i am re homing? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 am

Sorry!! I have just re read the original post and seen that the plec is 9" and the O 5". I took it the other way round and thought that the plec was only small and the O quite a size banghead

I guess you could get away with it acer, because I doubt that even a greedy Oscar could fit a 9" plec in its mouth, althou I would make sure it had some decent hiding places for the days when O has what chez calls an ASBO day lol Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:25 am

looks like the Oscar is back on then, chatting
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:06 am

you will just have to keep your eye on things for the first couple of weeks

hopefully everything will be ok.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am

as long as the plec has plenty of hiding sopts and bogwood etc - ie places it can get to that the plec cant - then it ought to be fine

Cant and wont say the same for the goldfish - the Ossy will no doubt view tham as fair game if they are not bigger than it.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:17 pm

" There you go Acer you too can have a Oscar!!!

Asbo days = No decorations left unturned

Fruit and nut days = headbutting the tank top. (now this makes you jump)

Greedy pig days = Stays still just staring at at you like begging to be fed all day

Bath days.= Hand feed a Prawn. (knocks it out of hand with that much force that me and dog gets covered in water)

Aeroplane days = just add a peice of bogwood, its like looking at the red arrows.

Vicious days = put your hand in to adjust a spot light

Dead days = let someone strange walk up to tank. Oscar on his side in corner of tank playing dead.
(but soon forgets he's dead if you have food in your hand)

Mardy days = enter tank with a Pink net.!!!

But in all the years i had fish way back when....
I have found Elvis to be the most amusing entertaining fish i have ever had
I Love this little Terror.
you have to like big basic tank with no decorations,
on the Plus side easy to vac/clean as nothing to move.

Good Luck with your new addition Acer.!!!!

YOU WILL NEED IT..

hahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Well you no how to fill a guy with confidence,i am thinking that this might be a bad idea. scared sofa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Honest i wish i had got a Oscar years ago instead of fiddly little fish
you will be amused and amazed at the things they get up to.
Go for it.................................
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:19 pm

go for it acer you could call him MR WILDE.

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Don't no now,i was looking on a oscar web pg,and Thai r going on about filtration units and Thai say that my filter is no good for a osca,and that my 200L is hot big enough,and that i would be changing the water every too days. help
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm

well i have a juwel rio 4ft x 16 wide
the built in filter that to be honest is rubbish
but i have put a bubble curtain on the back glass this is brill and E loves
swimming through it.
i do a 4 bucket water change every wednesday.
all stats perfect everytime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: osca   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:07 am

Have just measured tank,w40c h53c L100c,holds 200L, fluval 205 ex filter,would buy a bigger filter if i had to,what do you think. computer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:31 am

Well not being no expert by far
E was in a 3ftx12 when i first got him.....

i would say that ok.but someone may come along with more knowledge than me soon..
(Rich where are you.lol)
they provide that filter for fluval 240 so should be fine.
put extra air pipe in if you feel better like a airstone/bubble curtain ect....
don't forget though Oscar can grow to about 12-15 inch...
Shocked

Last edited by chez on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: osca   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 am

OK will let rich decide, hahaha lol
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 am

OK - Acer - your tank is the same dimensions as mine (nd thats rated by rena @ 180liter inc displacement by decor - any - they are spot on - yes I measured it when I first filled it) My system is 200lioters (or a tad more) with two large external filters in place - and I wouldnt dream of puttting an oscar in this tank.

I am told (reliably) that a 240 liter tank is the bare minimum for an oscar - but as Ive said before - volume isnt the issue for an oscar - the length and widt are what patters - they need a reasonable amount of space to move in.

You could get an oscatr in there - but not much esle (to be fair on all inhabitants) and certainly not another little oscar friend.

Filters - well anything bigger than the 205 - I like my tetratec 700xp - but the flow isnt the best in the world - maybe this would actually be a good thing for oscars - id suggestst the next one up (1200xp I think) or another goodd internal I use is the AquaOne Aquis 1200 - this is a brilliant filter - and isnt fussy about the foams etc you use in it (like fluvals are) as a matter of fact - the tetratec isnt (and why I picked these in the forst place)

I had a fluval 405 for a while and persoanlly - wouldnt use that for an oscar either.

The fish book I use the most for sizes etc (the one I have found most accurate to date) says oscars grow upto 14" and minimum tank length is 120cm

I'll leave the decision to you
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks Rich

Acer looks like you are moving the settee out to make room for a bigger tank mate Smile
my settee's going as its too long and now getting the new tank there isant enough room
to see to it when in place so mines going..
but look on the bright side..........
you get a new tank and a new suite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:31 pm

Dont have a settee, just have a couple of comfy recliners - then you would have LOADS more room for a really, really big tank and loads of fishies Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can i put Oscar with plec   Can i put Oscar with plec Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can i put Oscar with plec
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next