Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lazarus Fish

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - Lazarus Fish Empty
PostSubject: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 10:07 am

Atm in my Q tank I have four Hatchetfish, an Oto, two shrimp and I just added a new Plec on Sunday - still waiting for confirmation on its id. Anyway, whenever I add new fish to a tank, I always test the water for a couple of days afterwards just to make sure things are ok while the filter bacteria are adjusting to the new bioload. Everything was fine yesterday but today the ammonia was 0 but the nitrite was 0.5. affraid

So out came the water change buckets and during the course of this, I noticed that one of the hatchetfish was missing. "Oh great", says I, "another dead fish - decomposing and messing with water quality". I did a visual check of the tank and carefully moved around the floating plants so as not to spook the other three hatchetfish but no sign of the missing fish.

Tonight, I decided to check the nitrite level again - it was down to 0.25 but the fact that it was still registering a reading, I decided to do another water change and this time I took everything out of the tank (bar the occupants) so I could give it a good gravel clean. I also rinsed out the filter sponge which was minging - still no sign of the missing fish. So I just gave up, resigned to the fact that it would probably be eaten by the shrimp... Evil or Very Mad

So back went everything - filter, plants, decor, bogwood - filled up the tank with clean water and turned on the equipment again. A few moments ago, I went in to turn off the tank lights and what did I see? FOUR Hatchetfish merrily shoaling...I have no idea how the missing fish escaped my notice not once, but TWICE during the water changes. Goodness only knows where he was hiding but I'm just happy that he's alive. Long story...but a happy ending. :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 am

Wow Mary, how very strange scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 10:35 am

Isn't it though? I'd say something if it was a small guppy or Oto but the Hatchetfish are large enough plus they spend 90% of the time at the top of the tank so I'm baffled as to how I missed it... crazy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 7:13 am

Glad it all turned out ok Mary, you've had more than your share of bad luck with fish Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 am

Indeed. I've lost three of the original four Hatchetfish but added four more, one of which also died so just these four now in the Q tank. On a positive note, my Betta is thriving in his alternate tank and the BiORb now has six male guppies, all of which are doing well also so fingers crossed, the Tank Of Death is no more. Wink
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 am

could he have been hiding in one of the ornaments??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 9:11 am

Mary wrote:
Indeed. I've lost three of the original four Hatchetfish but added four more, one of which also died so just these four now in the Q tank. On a positive note, my Betta is thriving in his alternate tank and the BiORb now has six male guppies, all of which are doing well also so fingers crossed, the Tank Of Death is no more. Wink

Oh I didnt know some of the hatchetfish had kicked the bucket Mary, that's a shame. Good news though about the betta Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 am

Yeah, very strange. Just...died. No symptoms, no marks on the body, nothing. Wierd. scratch
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:04 am

Mary wrote:
Atm in my Q tank I have four Hatchetfish, an Oto, two shrimp and I just added a new Plec on Sunday - still waiting for confirmation on its id. Anyway, whenever I add new fish to a tank, I always test the water for a couple of days afterwards just to make sure things are ok while the filter bacteria are adjusting to the new bioload. Everything was fine yesterday but today the ammonia was 0 but the nitrite was 0.5. affraid

So out came the water change buckets and during the course of this, I noticed that one of the hatchetfish was missing. "Oh great", says I, "another dead fish - decomposing and messing with water quality". I did a visual check of the tank and carefully moved around the floating plants so as not to spook the other three hatchetfish but no sign of the missing fish.

Tonight, I decided to check the nitrite level again - it was down to 0.25 but the fact that it was still registering a reading, I decided to do another water change and this time I took everything out of the tank (bar the occupants) so I could give it a good gravel clean. I also rinsed out the filter sponge which was minging - still no sign of the missing fish. So I just gave up, resigned to the fact that it would probably be eaten by the shrimp... Evil or Very Mad

So back went everything - filter, plants, decor, bogwood - filled up the tank with clean water and turned on the equipment again. A few moments ago, I went in to turn off the tank lights and what did I see? FOUR Hatchetfish merrily shoaling...I have no idea how the missing fish escaped my notice not once, but TWICE during the water changes. Goodness only knows where he was hiding but I'm just happy that he's alive. Long story...but a happy ending. :lol:

Excuse my ignorance Mary (glad yor little fish was found safe and well by he way), but would the addition of a single, presumably small fish make such a difference to the bioload? I would have thought that it was qite a safe thing to do, or is this what usually happens?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 am

Fishfan wrote:
Excuse my ignorance Mary (glad yor little fish was found safe and well by he way), but would the addition of a single, presumably small fish make such a difference to the bioload? I would have thought that it was qite a safe thing to do, or is this what usually happens?

In general, one fish wouldn't make much of a difference Fishfan but plecs are notorious poop machines plus the new one is about 5cm in length so would have an impact alright. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 pm

good news that everything seems to be settling down with your tanks and fish Mary - i bet the betta breathes a sigh of relief when you walked past the orb with him in his little bag! :lol: .

Can just imagine the guppies going affraid pale though :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 am

driver wrote:
i bet the betta breathes a sigh of relief when you walked past the orb with him in his little bag!

hahaha

Well I'm happy to report that the Betta and the Guppies are thriving in their respective homes. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lazarus Fish   fish - Lazarus Fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lazarus Fish
Page 1 of 1