Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Home Made Fish Food

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Home Made Fish Food Empty
PostSubject: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:14 am

There is quite a bit of info on forum about the importance of giving your fish a balanced diet, and I thought some may be interested in this info. There are a couple of recipes for a home made fish food mix, which apparently produce a food which is enjoyed by ALL breeds of fish, but also improves their colour, size and health.

Recipe 1

1lb Frozen peas
1 whole Cucumber
5 medium/large Courgette
3 - 4 med/large potatoes
4 cloves Garlic
1lb Whole Shrimp (includes head, shells, legs)
1 whole Brocolli (or handful of frozen florets)
2 tsp Spirulina Powder
1 Capful multi vitamin liquid
Gelatine

Preparation

Boil potatoes
Remove the skin from the frozen peas
Put all veggies, shrimp and garlic into blender and mash up.
Add Spirullina powder and vitamins.
Pour into pan of boiling water and cook till veggies soft. Mash veggies up.
Make gelatine in a big pot and add veggies mix.
Keep stirring till mix goes thick.
Pour into containers (about 1-2cm thick of mix) or freezer bags. Put in fridge until it is set.
Cut into small cubes and freeze.

Thaw before feeding to the fish.

THIS AMOUNT OF MIX WILL LAST FOR A LONG TIME AND SO IS VERY COST EFFECTIVE

Feed fish once a day only, every day.

Might have a go at this and see how it goes down Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:37 am

That looks quite good! I suppose you could adjust the amounts could you - make smaller amounts, say half of that. Looks like that might make a years supply - although I guess it depends on how many fish you have.

I might have a go at that at the weekend.

Where wold you get the spirlina stuff from and what is it??
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:40 am

It would work out cheaper because most of it is stuff you would have in - spuds and veggies, so only have to buy the vits and shrimp once in a blue moon. What's in fish food anyway - I'll have to have a look scratch
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:44 am

charley wrote:
That looks quite good! I suppose you could adjust the amounts could you - make smaller amounts, say half of that. Looks like that might make a years supply - although I guess it depends on how many fish you have.

I might have a go at that at the weekend.

Where wold you get the spirlina stuff from and what is it??

I think the spirullina is a high protein powder - you can get it in fish food that you buy so it's ok to use. I think the quantties stated are quite a lot, a small batch is a good idea.

I already buy a load of veggies for the dog, so always have them available. It would just be getting the whole shrimp and the vits that would be extra, but it does sound an interesting idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:46 am

Do you know where you can get those things from - spirulina, gelatine and also the vitamins - do you mean special multi vitamins for fish or just people vitamins?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:47 am

Add a bit of Sanatogen Tonic Wine into the mix - always makes me feel better :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:53 am

tim on here sells spiri powder & he's a top bloke Very Happy

Thanks Diana... that looks like a worth while thing to try out
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:04 am

I have been doing a bit of looking about and some say that you can use human multi vits, or thse meant for birds. I am not sure how important the added vits would be really - if the ate this stuff it would be a fairly balanced diet I wold have thought.

I think some Health shops sell spirollina powder too.

What a fantastic photo on that linky site of that blue fish hoovering up its dinner! :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:16 am

Lol, thats jim's fish spitting out gravel tongue

there is a site who tim from ta aquaculture sponsors. Jim won photo of the month last month
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:58 am

I thought it was eating some sort of pellets lol!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 am

That sounds like qite a good diet for fish thogh. I'll definately try it - when I get my fish that is!!! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:28 am

Just catching up on things and this sounds like a really good idea. You could use any fish could you, not just shrimp - mackerel, stuff like that. I dont know that I have seen shrimp unshelled for sale in any of the supermarkets. dunno

I like the idea of making my own stuff, at least I'll know what they are getting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Fish Food   Home Made Fish Food Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Made Fish Food
Page 1 of 1