Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ammonia gone missing!

Go down 
+2
GeordieDave
Matty
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Ammonia gone missing! Empty
PostSubject: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 2:39 am

Ordered in the post and just hasnt turned up - So I have started to put some fish food in the tank as a source of ammonia. I had read that this can be used so am going to give it a try and see what happens. I have put a heaped teaspoonfull in and will test the water tomorrow to see if there is any readings of note.

Do you think that is enough to get the ball rolling, or will I need a load more?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 am

Hiya hb, I think you can use fish food or something like some rotting fish to get the ammonia up in the tank. Im not sure how much you have to add because i would think that you have to wait for it all to rot before you know how much ammonia that amount will make.

i think youwill just have to test the water every day and see what the levels are but will probably need more that that to get a reading of 5.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:08 am

You can use it. But i think it takes quite a lot!! Make sure it doesn't clog the filter though!! You could always try boots or somewhere like that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:11 am

Matty wrote:
You can use it. But i think it takes quite a lot!! Make sure it doesn't clog the filter though!! You could always try boots or somewhere like that Very Happy

i have been trying to get ammonia for a while in the end i got mine off Ebay or try Wilkinsons!

Boots dont stock it I was told - and Homebase gave me some funny looks and tootled off and pretended to look for it.....

Ebay all the way...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320226421806&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 am

I started my cycle with rotting prawns in a pair of tights but it was just hard to try and get the level up to that recommended. If you do want to go down this route, it might be worth putting a tablespoonful of flake in the leg of a pair of tights so they dont just float round the tank and clog the filter as Matty says.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 am

I think the main problem with the fish food route is that it's difficult to determine how much to accurately add to keep the ammonia level at 4-5ppm initially whereas it's more straightfoward with the bottled ammonia - after a bit of trial and error at first. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 9:23 am

rotting prawns in a pair of tight No

Just not the right image if you ask me!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Fishfan wrote:

Works though Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 am

Fishfan wrote:

hahaha

It does work Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia gone missing!   Ammonia gone missing! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ammonia gone missing!