Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ammonia high

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 12:01 am

the water's still mucky but I decided to have a go and start adding the ammonia. Made a BIG, HUGE mistake and decided to see if ammonia smells as bad as everyone says............................it does, and my eyes and nose are just settling down from that!.

Added some ammoinia last night and checked the water this morning - ph 7.8, ammonia 8!

what do I do now please?? confused
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 8:15 am

Do a 50% water change to dilute the ammonia level down. Test again and, if necessary do another water change until the ammonia level is 4ppm. Don't worry, it's a common enough newbie mistake. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 am

Ooh, bottles of ammonia should come with a Government Health warning................sniffing this can seriously damage your health! Very Happy

By the sound of it you have overdosed your tank a bit. As Mary says it is a common mistake - best to get all the errors out of the way early Smile ..
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 pm

I think GD did a similar thing didnt he? It took a couple of water changes to get the ammonia down if I remember right, so keep testing the water and change as needed.

Oh..............dint forget......................dont smell the ammonia laughing
Back to top Go down

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Have checked the water this morning and it still seems too dark on the strip. Would it be ok to empty the tank and start again or is that going to damage things?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Evie I had a similar issue as yourself....My advice Change 50% of the water and leave it a few hours and test....if its still high repaet..

Ispent around 18hrs doing waterchanges! its not fun good luck

PS sorry i aint been on here for a long time
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 12:33 am

Hiya GD, nice to 'see' you again . Hope all is well in your fishy emporium! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2008 5:29 am

Well I havent done as many water changes as I shouls have done but at last my reading is 4. Should I just leave it now till it drops below that?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2008 6:36 am

That's right evie. Just test your tank water at the same time every day, and if it drops below 4 then add ammonia in little drops and test until it it back up to 4 again.

Post your readings on here every day if you like and we can go through it with you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ammonia high Empty
PostSubject: Re: ammonia high   ammonia high Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ammonia high
Page 1 of 1