Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Missing scales

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Missing scales Empty
PostSubject: Missing scales   Missing scales Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:06 pm

As you know I now have two goldfish ( well one fantail and one black one), and all seems to have been ok with them. Today though I noticed that the fantail has lost a couple of scales off its side. Its swimming ok and is active as usual.

Could they have been fighting ( I have never seen then being aggressive), or is there something wrong with it? How should I treat it and what could have caused it??

Sorry for all the questions but I would welcome some advice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Missing scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing scales   Missing scales Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm

This happened with my Black Moor a while ago, carole. It was missing some scales off its body - never figured out whether it was down to fighting or if it just scraped itself off something. Anyway, clean water and adding some Melafix/Pimafix to help prevent infection meant they grew back fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Missing scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing scales   Missing scales Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 pm

My fantail lost a few scales when he decided to jump out of a container on the kitchen worktop, and fell 3ft onto the floor! affraid .

Surprisingly it survived the experience apart from losing the scales, and as Mary has said Melafix seems to work well. Also they do seem to scrape themselves on ornaments, so be careful what you have in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Missing scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing scales   Missing scales Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Missing scales
Page 1 of 1