Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spikey scales

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:40 am

My goldfish at work has a patch on it's side where the scales are sticking out and the other goldfish and danio are picking at it. The scales aren't sticking up all over it so i think i ruled dropsy out.
Also it's tail looks a bit bedraggled, as it they have been nipping at it

Any ideas?

I feel terrible as the others tend to chance it round the tank
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 1:20 am

Ah poor little fellow. Could you post a photo Pixie as that would help? Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 1:25 am

I have heard of fish picking at tumours on other fish - dont know if its a common thing but have def read it.

Might be worth adding some melafix into the tank, or is there any way of isolating it?
Back to top Go down

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 2:14 am

I can't really isolate her, she seems very down today....just floating about rather than her usual swimming

I will try get a pic but my phone is not very good, have to post it when i get home tonight though as i don't have a cable at work
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:44 am

Hope she's ok, I love my goldies and would be really sorry if anything happened to them.

Can you give a bit more information?

Size of tank.

Whats the temperature of the tank pixie - goldfish and danios together?

Are the water stats ok - Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, and is there adequate filtration and oxygenation?
Back to top Go down

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi Diana....

The tank is only a aqua 40 (27L)
I have 2 fancy goldies and one leopard danio in there (only survivor of the original 4, i was only planning on having them in there till they died, so i went for goldies)
And YES i know the tank is too small, (NOW....lol) Ive a lovely home ready and waiting for one of them
The last time i did the stats they were all good, well filtered and oxygenated.....other than the spikey scales everything is good with the tank

I'll keep my eye on it over the next few days....they live in the right place anyway....lol.....(vets)
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 8:22 pm

I'd test the water pixie. As you probably know goldies are very mucky fish, they wee and poo all the time and quickly dirty the water they are in.

It might be an idea to check the water every other day while they are in such a small tank.

By the way, if you are waiting for the goldies to die, you may have a long wait!! Goldfish can live for up to 20 yrs which is why it's so important to have them in the right type of tank for them.
Back to top Go down

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 1:41 am

lol.....i think you misunderstood me.....I was only planning on keeping 4 danio's in the tank....till THEY died....leaving the one that's left....i didn't mean i was planning on keeping the goldies in there till they died....

When i went to get some more i saw the goldies and got them instead....

will bring my test kit in to work tomorrow....i've had the tank a few months now and the water stats have been good at each test so far (touch wood) but i see what your saying

scales don't look as spikey today
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 am

lol. Sorry pixie - I thought it was a strange thing for you to do scratch .

Glad it's starting to get a bit better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:47 am

Deffo test the water. Sounds like dropsy or something like that to me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:37 am

well she is totally back to normal now (hope it stays that way!!)

Stats were...

Ammo 0
NitrAte 20
NitrIte 0
PH 7.2 (ish)....verging on 7.6

so not sure what was going on there....but still going to keep an eye on the stats and her over next few week
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 am

Oh glad to hear it, Pixie. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Good to hear Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

Spikey scales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey scales   Spikey scales Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spikey scales
Page 1 of 1