Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Messed up filter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 2:16 am

Hiya, can someone give me a bit of advice.

Was in the middle of the water change and had washed my filter sponges in old tank water. I emptied all the old dirty water away and when I came back in, found my little nephew 'helping' by washing the sponges in the bucket of clean water. He said 'Look I got all this dirt out!' affraid

Ive put the filter back in the tank but know that i am now going to have a mini cycle.

How long will it take for the water to go bad because I am away now until Monday night!! Any suggestions how I can keep things sweet?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 2:21 am

Sure God love the poor little fellow. He thought he was being "helpful"...hopefully you weren't too hard on him! Had you already dechlorinated the clean water 'coz if so, the filter bacteria should be ok otherwise daily water changes will be required until the filter bacteria are back up to speed again. Wink

To help matters, don't have the fish fed AT ALL while you're gone and that should keep the ammonia levels down. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 3:58 am

Kids just love to be helpful dont they? :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 3:59 am

My heart always sinks when I hear those words "Can I help?"... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 am

Thats so sweet Wink As mary said was the water dechlorinated?? If not justdo plenty of WCs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:59 am

Oh boy!! Good luck with all the water changes tardis!
Back to top Go down

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:02 am

Mary wrote:
Sure God love the poor little fellow. He thought he was being "helpful"...hopefully you weren't too hard on him! Had you already dechlorinated the clean water 'coz if so, the filter bacteria should be ok otherwise daily water changes will be required until the filter bacteria are back up to speed again. Wink

To help matters, don't have the fish fed AT ALL while you're gone and that should keep the ammonia levels down. Smile

No dont worry Mary... I wasn't hard on him at all. He's only 5 and the sweetest little fella you could wish to see!

No I hadnt put dechlor into the water, that was going to me my next task Crying or Very sad , so it looks like daily water changes for a while, and a quick course in fishkeeping for a 5 year old Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:17 am

Aww, sounds like my little guy Matthew who's 5 as well. He'd've been devastated to think he might hurt the fish. At least you discovered what had happened instead of putting the filter sponges back in and then wondered why the fish weren't looking so good... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:09 am

You two should set up a play date Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

Messed up filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up filter   Messed up filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Messed up filter
Page 1 of 1