Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poorly female betta

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Poorly female betta Empty
PostSubject: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 6:16 am

Hiya everyone. One of my new female bettas is sick and I am not sure what to do with it!

It's got white fluffy looking stuff round its mouth, and it's not looking very well. Its still swimming but didnt eat this morning and it keeps going and hiding behind one of the plants.

Anyone any idea what it could be and what do I do about it?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 6:34 am

I'm assuming that the water stats are ok are they cam?

It sounds like it could be a fungal type of thing. Have you looked in the fish care sheets - there may be something in there that sounds like this, although the outlook for some of them is very poor.

Do youhave any anti fungal treatment available that you could start to use now?

Have a little look and if there are any more questions then dont hesitate to ask. Hope it's ok
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 7:02 am

Fluffy stuff is either fungus or columnaris. It's quite difficult to distinguish between the two. Test the water first to make sure that ammonia and nitrite levels are ok. If you have Melafix & Pimafix, try adding them to the tank for a few days but if there's no improvement, it might be necessary to get a stronger med. like Myxazin.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:36 am

Sounds like a fungus. Myxazin is a brilliant med to use Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 2:25 am

Yes treat it quick and you may be ok I managed to save a gourami from mouth fungus that was really bad.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:52 am

Keep an eye out for water quality while "myxazining" as sometimes it can cloud the water Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:38 am

Well I've been treating with Melafix and Pimafix but no change yet. Cant get hold of Myaxin but have som eon order.

It doesnt look very good though at the moment and has stopped eating Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:00 am

Ah that's a shame cam, I like female bettas more than the males actually, they're nice little fish.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 am

They are lovely. I have one in my 90L community tank and she's a beauty. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Well mine certainly isnt a beauty today. She's just sitting on the floor of the tank by a plant, and not doing anything much. I dont know whether to perservere with treatment or put her out of her misery, but I have never done that before and dont really want to Crying or Very sad

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 am

If shes is obviously in pain get out the clover oil. But otherwise keep treating her Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:00 am

If you can't get the Myxazin by tomorrow, cam - I'd say euthanize her. She hasn't fed for several days now right? So she probably won't last much longer anyway. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 am

Mary wrote:
If you can't get the Myxazin by tomorrow, cam - I'd say euthanize her. She hasn't fed for several days now right? So she probably won't last much longer anyway. Crying or Very sad

Poor thing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 4:37 am

hows your fish doing cam - any bettr
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 am

My poorly betta died this morning Sad . Thankfully I didnt have to use clove oil on her, as I didnt want to do that.

The other one is looking a bit miserable tonight so I am hoping that she hasnt caught anything as she has been in the same tank all the time.

fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am

Poor you and betta Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poorly female betta   Poorly female betta Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poorly female betta
Page 1 of 1