Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fin Rot In New Betta...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Fin Rot In New Betta... Empty
PostSubject: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 am

Well my run of bad luck with my Bettas continues...

Fin Rot In New Betta... 2199575801_bbbf56c876

As you can see above, yesterday he was a perfectly healthy specimen and he seemed to be settling in well to his new home. This evening, when I turned on the tank lights, I was horrifed to see that half of his fins were missing.

Fin Rot In New Betta... 2202374052_0c3635cc3b

At first, I thought he'd been fin-nipped but as there's only Amano shrimp in the tank with him, that's unlikely as I've never had any problems with them before. Also, in fin-nipping, the fin tissue and fin rays are both nibbled whereas here you can see that the fin rays are exposed where the surrounding fin tissue has rotted back. I'm just gutted...Sad

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrite were both zero so at least it's not a water quality issue. Maybe it was brought on by the stress of "moving house" but it's something that I haven't come across before.

For the time being I've added Melafix and Pimafix until I can get proper meds. but that might not be until Sunday. If this much damage has occurred in just 24 hours, I don't hold out much hope for him surviving though... No
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:26 am

Oh Mary, that is so sad, what bad luck. This is probably a stupid thought, but he couldn't have snagged his fins on the rocks in the tank could he? They look a bit rough in the pic, although that might be just because it's a close up.

I really hope he does ok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:30 am

.That's tough luck mary, hope the melafix does the job on him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:43 am

Oh Mary! I am sorry about your fish. Is it just the males you have the trouble with - youve got females as well havent you? Do they do ok?

The poor little thing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:48 am

Sad Oh Mary, how sad.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 am

Well, all is not lost 'coz I was routing around in my meds. cabinet and found eSHa 2000 which is an "all rounder" but treats FinRot. Hurrah! I'm feeling much happier now that I have proper meds. At least they'll help until I can get a specific FinRot treatment in the LFS.

Re: the rocks, Diana - interesting point but I don't think so; I've watched him swimming over them and he just glides effortlessly over them plus they're not so rough looking in reality and I did put a layer of rounded pebbles over them initially but some have moved. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 am

Hope it does the trick Mary.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:25 am

So do I, Diana 'coz if this Betta dies, I might just give up on them altogether. Sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:29 am

Well I dont think anyone could blame you for that, it's been a bit of a nightmare for you hasn't it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 pm

wat tanks he in... biorb?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Sorry to hear that Mary... he's not been sticking himself to the filter out take has he? A longshot but you never know :?:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 am

Well, the poor Betta is MIA so I can only assume he's dead. I'll strip down the tank tomorrow and dispose of him as I'm too heartbroken to tackle it now. Sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 am

I'm really sorry to hear that Mary, it's such bad luck as he was a lovely little fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 3:26 am

sad that mary, but it seemed to get bad really quick didnt it, i mean from pic1 to pic2 in just a few hours. it must be really a bad dose for that to happen.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 am

Bad news that Mary, he was a beautiful fish too. I bet your'e tempted just to have the shrimp in that tank aren't you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 9:27 am

Oh Mary, you have bad luck with these fish dont you. Just a thought but have all the bettas you have had die been in that tank?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:26 am

OH no!! I'd be asking questions at the LFS now Mary, it's not fair to you. Especially as he took ill so soon No
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Oh Mary, that's bizarre. As has been suggested it may be something to do with that tank (if all the bettas have been in there), catching themselves on rocks, the heater or something.

Can amano shrimp harbour disease? It does seem suspcious that so many of them keep dying on you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fin Rot In New Betta...   Fin Rot In New Betta... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fin Rot In New Betta...
Page 1 of 1