Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Betta...Again

Go down 
+2
Matty
Mary
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:17 am

Well, the saga continues...

I decided that maybe getting mulit-coloured Bettas wasn't necessarily a good idea as they were probably crossbred from pure colour specimens so last week, I got a more traditional red Betta. I've waited a week to reveal him to make sure he survives so I hope I'm not tempting fate...again! Shocked

Anyway, here he is - I've named him Clancy which is Celtic for "Red Warrior"...he's a beauty and very active so fingers crossed. Smile

New Betta...Again 2236676563_18093884faNew Betta...Again 2236676671_06ebe01d71
New Betta...Again 2237467388_991df136b3New Betta...Again 2236676331_9285d15870
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:20 am

He is gorgeous!! Do you have any Betta tips as i have a free tank! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:24 am

well thats very daring of u, but he looks like a stunner so i hope he does well! New Betta...Again 29376
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 am

Well since I've had four die on me for various reasons, I'm not sure if my tips would be any good. It all depends on whether or not, he's in a "bachelor pad" or community tank. If the former, then make sure it's heated, filtered and at least 15L. If the latter, then don't mix him with guppies, angelfish or gouramis. Oh and they appreciate a varied diet of flake, bloodworms etc. Smile

I've also discovered that this fellow likes cucumber as he was munching the piece that I'd put in for the shrimp! If you look closely at photo no. 2, you can see a small green lump between his fins. I panicked when I saw this until I realized that he was just pooping out the undigested bits of cucumber... hahaha
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:42 am

LOL! It will be a bachelor pad! I just need to clean it and buy all the stuff Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 am

Lovely looking fish Mary... fingers crossed here, i wont say much & tempt fate crazy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 am

Well at this stage, M.C., every day it lasts is a good thing. He's as wary of the shrimp as his predecessors though, the big wuss. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Oh GOOD LUCK with him Mary, he is a lovely looking one that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks Diana. I nearly had heart failure last night when I caught Christian spraying on his deodarant in the hall especially after the thread about chemical sprays. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 3:37 am

Mary wrote:
Thanks Diana. I nearly had heart failure last night when I caught Christian spraying on his deodarant in the hall especially after the thread about chemical sprays. Shocked

I get soooooo paranoid! I always keep my window open to! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 am

I can't cope...the flippin' Betta keeps "playing dead". It lies motionless on the bottom of the tank and it's only when I open the lid that it stirs and swims up to the top of the tank for a look. Little bugger. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:23 am

hahaha Oh Mary, don't! I dont think any of us could take another 'Betta dead' post! No

It probably returns to the bottom of the tank chucking and thinking "Yaah! Gotcha!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 10:57 am

Diana wrote:
hahaha Oh Mary, don't! I dont think any of us could take another 'Betta dead' post!

Neither could I. Shocked

If this one does die then I can only assume there's some pathogen lurking in the tank and I'm going to strip it down completely. :|
Back to top Go down

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh I really hope he stays well for you Mary, he's a lovely little fish. We will have to have daily updates from you on his welfare! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:12 pm

My cory plays dead all the time! Gives me a heart attack when i see him, then he swims off!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Found him hiding under the moss ball this morning. I swear I spend half my time just staring at him and holding my breath until I see him move. It's a close call as to which one of us will keel over from the stress first... :lol:
Back to top Go down

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 am

He's doing it on purpose Mary :lol: . How long have the others lasted for by the way - what's the record for longevity?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 am

Lovely looking fish Mary, although not sure about the name! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 am

Fishfan wrote:
Lovely looking fish Mary, although not sure about the name!

What's wrong with Clancy?? Even though Rebecca calls him Nancy Clancy Fancy Pants... :lol:

I've had him eleven days now which is the second longest after my original Betta who lasted four months, the other three were only a week, four days and two days. Sad

Now he's taken to lying prone under the decor...only emerging for food. Me nerves are shattered... Shocked

Last edited by on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:07 am

God, I feel like we should be organising a 24hr watch on him! You can do the night shift though! :lol:
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Good Luck with Clancy. That's a vivid color! I like the archway in the tank, very cool.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks Jackie. I like that too - it's a nice feature and Clancy likes swimming through it. The fishy equivalent of jumping through a hoop! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Diana wrote:
God, I feel like we should be organising a 24hr watch on him! You can do the night shift though!

Well, I tell you I'm leaving it in fate's hands now. I casually check on him every morning and you'd be surprised how adept he is at hiding in a 15L bowl but as soon as I see any bit of red colour, I think "well, he's still there anyway" but I have to admit that I hold my breath until I see him swimming around. I just bought some "posh" Betta food for him that I hope will keep him as healthy as possible. I have a good feeling about this one though (famous last words!) as I had been eyeing him up for about two weeks in the LFS before I bought him so he's survived at least a month at this stage (and was prob. 5-6 months old to begin with). Very Happy
Back to top Go down

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 am

Hope he lives a long life with you Mary Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks Ant, if he makes it through the first month, I'd say he has a good chance. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Betta...Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta...Again   New Betta...Again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Betta...Again
Page 1 of 1