Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Betta (again!)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:56 am

Well, it's been said that God loves a trier so He must really love me because I got another new Betta splendens today to replace the one that died accidentally the other week. For those of you unfamiliar with my saga, I had Betta #1 (Cuchulainn) for about four months - he was neon blue and died of a mysterious tumour; #2 (Finn) was a rescued fin-nipped rainbow coloured specimen but only lasted two days. I looked for six months before settling on #3 (Finn II), a teal half-moon variety and he died accidentally last week. Sad

So today, on my way back from taking Matthew to his swimming lesson, I called into this garden centre that I've often visited but have never bought fish from to find a beautiful rainbow Betta that was very similar to Finn II. So I've taken a chance and brought him home and I'll post photos soon. As the name Finn hasn't brought much luck to my two previous fish and Cuchulainn was a bit of a mouthful, I've named this one Naoise (Nee-sha) after the mythical Celtic warrior. Fingers crossed that he will survive. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:11 am

Oh I hope so Mary, look forward to seeing a pic too when he's settled :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 am

Yes, I figured I'd give him 24 hours at least before I started attacking him with the camera. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:14 am

Good luck Mary, I hope he lives a long and Healthy life! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 am

How did your betta 'accidentally' die Mary? I hope you have some good luck with this one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:41 am

I found it dead at the bottom of the tank Fishfan near the rock decor. He was perfectly healthy without a mark on his body so I can only conclude that it must've knocked itself out on the decor. Sad
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 am

Can fish do that? I never thought about things like that happening!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:50 am

Oh they can. I read on another forum of a fish jumping, bashing its head off the lid of the tank and dying - a suicidal fish, I guess. Shocked
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 am

Someone I know... their fish dive bombed soooo fast it ½ buried itself in the sand. They had to rescue it, lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 am

God, it must have been a kamikaze fish!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 am

And of course then there's the fish that leap out of tanks/fish nets as happened with one of my zebra loaches. It fell about three feet, went splat! onto the ground but survived and is still doing fine... cheers
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:03 am

Well, I finally got a chance to take a few photos so here's Naoise.
New Betta (again!) 2199575801_bbbf56c876

This is a rear view showing his lovely multi-coloured finnage.
New Betta (again!) 2199575997_4ed72d189e

This one isn't great quality but shows the Betta checking out one of the shrimp.
New Betta (again!) 2199576677_cb43960187

Last edited by on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:33 am

Lovely looking fish Mary Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:36 am

oh that's a nice loooking fish Mary, love the evil look he's giving that shrimp!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks guys. He is a handsome devil, alright! I love you

Diana wrote:
oh that's a nice loooking fish Mary, love the evil look he's giving that shrimp!

Well, it was hilarious to watch him, Diana - he pushed his mouth thisclose to the shrimp, then suddenly lost his nerve and swam away, the big wuss! :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:59 pm

he's lovely Mary Very Happy
Back to top Go down

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 pm

That;s a nice little betta Mary, and really good pic too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 5:42 am

Thanks guys. He's a very inquisitive little fellow too and always approaches the front glass to say "Hi" whenever I approach. Smile
Back to top Go down

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:19 am

cool little fish mary. what do you think of the orb tanks - are they ok or would yoou prefer a 'normal' tank
Back to top Go down

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 10:18 pm

wat do u mix with bettas? just cleaning fish or can u mix others?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:17 am

Well I like the design of the Biorb but just as a Betta tank - I don't think the Baby Biorb that I have (only 15L) is suitable for much else. There are larger ones - 30L & 60L, I believe - that would be probably be ok for small species like neons or platies but anything larger than that would require the more traditional shaped tank to give them the swimming room they require. Smile

I just put Amano shrimp in with mine as IME Bettas don't do well in a community tank. Wink
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:05 am

What a splendid fish, I don't think I've ever seen one with so many colors on a single specimen. Those fins fairly shimmer!
That shrimp is nearly as large as the betta, I can see why he was a bit nervous about it. I wonder if they have them over here? I don't beleive I've ever seen them in the shops, but maybe I've just not been paying attention?
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 am

Hiya Jackie, I would think they do but perhaps they are called a different name?

it is a lovely little fish though that's for sure Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 am

That's a good point, Fishfan. I ought to look them up on Google & see what their Latin name is so I can a) make certain I'm asking for the correct creature and b) impress the staff at the fish shop. lol
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:14 am

I think the shrimp to avoid is called a Ghost shrimp because that can attack fish, but I think Amano's abd Cherry shrimp are quite popular and peaceful too.

I'm no expert by the way, haven't even got any fish yet!, but I've been doing loads of reading lately trying to plan what fish to get Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Betta (again!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Betta (again!)   New Betta (again!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Betta (again!)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next