Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Algae/Diatoms

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 am

Anyone got any good cures for this?

My little tank (Siamese Fighter Batchelor Pad) seemingly is now a holiday camp for this stuff, it grows really fast on the back and side plates of the tank (but strangely not on the fromt) and whilst it scrapes off easily enough, its ugly, so does anyone know a good cure for it.

The tank is unplanted, and no ferts/co2/special lights are in use, ive tried cutting light, but read that diatoms dont care about low light and infact, helps them out compete gren algae.

I think I have two issues at once as the colour is brown in some patches and green in others,,,,

anyway, ideas gratefully recieved.

I had considered a phosphate removal media but its agro installing (and costly replacing) it on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:34 am

I've got this stuff too Rich, but only in the coldwater tank, and it's a pain! To be honest I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it.

Thinking the diatoms were due to not enough lighting, I increased the amount of time the lights were on and then got green algae as well as the brown stuff. Nothing worked. I have increased lighting, decreased lighting, changed the time the lights were switched on/off, cut down on feeding etc, etc.

The one thing that did work was following advice from Mary - take the fish out, empty tank, give it a really good scrub, clean all ornaments thoroughly, all plants etc. Wash the gravel too.

Replace with clean water, put the fish back in. Have lights on for no more than 4 hrs a day.

It worked a treat and completely got rid of brown and green algae.

Me being stupid then decided to put live plants in and so now have to have the lights on for longer and guess what? Algae, green and brown! Evil or Very Mad

Good to have you back Rich Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:39 am

The tank thats affected is only two months or so old, all ornaments etc scrubbed before going in.

Could give it a go I suppose, just means grabbing beastie and rehoming him in the Q tank (which is same tank as his current pad) just alot of agro... anyway, will give it a go if my next plan fails (one of my lfs sells a herbal remedy that kills 100% algae etc but its £12 for 100ml although 1ml treats 50gallons)

ho hum, put up with it for a while seems the answer for now
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:46 am

All i can come up with is to get some silicate remover, i am not sure of a product name but i'd say that's the best way to get rid & no lights for a few days whilst the silicate remover is getting to work

Nice to see you back Rich...hope you're well :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 4:06 am

Found this Very Happy

Cause- Usually found in newly setup tanks due to silicates and ammonia as the filter and substrate have yet to mature.

Removal- Can be vacuumed out or wiped of the glass with a soft cloth. Usually disappears after a few weeks when the tank has matured. Otocinclus will eat it.
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 am

I have it too, Rich but only in the non-planted tanks. The otos eat it in the Q tank atm and I just use an algae sponge and toothbrush to clean it off the glass/ornaments in the coldwater tank. It's a pain but I find that it's easy enough to keep it under control. by wiping it off at each water change. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Algae/Diatoms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae/Diatoms   Algae/Diatoms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Algae/Diatoms
Page 1 of 1