Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help...Fish dying!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

fish - Help...Fish dying!! Empty
PostSubject: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Hiya, first post but please help! I've got a load of fish that are dying and I dont know why.

I've got 4 rummy nose tetras, 1 male betta, Platy's and Molly's in the tank and they keep getting something that makes them go very thin even though they are still feeding, eventually thay become slow and eventually die. I have had 6 die so far and have replaced them.

Also the betta has very raggedy fins and its getting worse.

I went to my local pet shop where I get all the fish from and they said it could be some sort of internal bacteria and gave me Interpet medicines but they didn't work. Then they said that it could be a form of worms and said to carry on with Interpet stuff.

I change the water every weel and the fish shop say my water is fine.I carry out regular water changes about once a week. Ive had the tank for 6 weeks now and want to get some clown loaches but dont want to get any more fish till in case they get sick too.

Please help!
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 am

Sorry jammy I can't give you any help, but I am sure that someone with a bit of knowledge will help soon. They usually like to know what the water stats are and the size of the tank too, so give that info too.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am

Hi jammy..
It sounds as though your problems initially lie with the water quality. I would not add any more of the medicine for now. Definitely no fish either.
If the tank has been running for 6wks, i'd bet you are still going through the nitrogen cycle. Here is a link which will explain what's going on in your tank at the moment.
I could do with knowing the tank size, type of filter and water test results would be good. You could really do with a test kit of your own..the API master test kit is the best one to get.
If you can't buy one, when you go to the LFS (local fish shop) ask them to write down the actual readings for ammonia, nitrIte & nitrAte.
For the time being i'd change a good 50% of the water daily to keep the levels of toxins to a minimum.

Last edited by on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 am

I agree with Munchy - invest in an API testing kit and keep a close eye on your water quality. Change the water if you get any sign of Ammonia or Nitrite in the results - at least 50%.

The other thing is, I am not sure if the betta may be getting nipped by some of the other fish? You may have to have a rethink about him being in the tank.

What size tank have you got? Clown Loaches get big and need a really big tank to house them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 7:36 am

jammy, I made the same mistake and added fish too soon, and lost some fish too. After loads of help from people on here, all I can say is it's down to big water changes and twice daily testing too.

it's a real pain but it's the only way to get the fish through it. Hope things settle down quick, and please make sure of this forum because they will help you through it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help...Fish dying!!   fish - Help...Fish dying!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help...Fish dying!!
Page 1 of 1