Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cycling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Cycling   Cycling Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 am

Just an update and check Smile

Cycling now for 8 days. I didn't get anything happen at all for a few days at first, but then I got a drop in Ammonia although the Nitrite stayed 0. Kept dosing up to 4ish.

Now today = PH 7.8 (too high?)
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 10

I dont know why the Nitrite is going up quicker that the ammonia is coming down? I thought the Ammonia went up, got changed and then went down and as all that was happening the Nitrite went up too.

At least something is happening though so I am not too worried, just dont understand really confused
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:25 am

The nitrifying bacteria will be growing so you see the nitrIte rise. It will start to consume ammonia & you will see that drop (after a while)....yes?
The nitrAte reading will be all over the place during the cycle so i'd not read much into the readings for nA. As for the pH, it is very difficult to alter it & keep it stable. This can fluctuate during a cycle due to changes in levels of acid/alkaline Smile
It's far better to acclimatise the fish to the level of pH you end up with than subject them to a fluctuating pH while you try to get the balance of chemicals right.
If you want to try & decrease the pH a bit, a piece of bogwood will get it down somewhat & that way it'll stay stable. It depends what stock you eventually settle on too Very Happy
I think our pH out of the tap is around 7.0 but we have 2 piecs of bogwood in for the plecs...the community tank pH is at 6.8
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 am

looks like you and brb are in a bit of a race to see who's going to finish first Fishfan, we should start a bit of a book on it? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycling
Page 1 of 1