Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cycling Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Cycling Question Empty
PostSubject: Cycling Question   Cycling Question Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 am

Hi again. Can I just check on this? I have been adding about a teaspoon of ammonia to the tank, and brought it to just a bit darkert than the 4 on the colour chart. Thing is, its stayed like that for the past 2 days now. I havent had to add any more ammonia or anything.

Is this normal? I thought that it should be getting used up and I should have to keep adding more to the tank or have I got it all wrong?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Cycling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling Question   Cycling Question Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 am

It seems ok to me, as long as it's around the 4-5ppm mark don't add any more Very Happy i had a few days like that with ours. It is a bit like watching paint dry isn't it? Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Cycling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling Question   Cycling Question Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 am

brb98 wrote:
Hi again. Can I just check on this? I have been adding about a teaspoon of ammonia to the tank, and brought it to just a bit darkert than the 4 on the colour chart. Thing is, its stayed like that for the past 2 days now. I havent had to add any more ammonia or anything.

Is this normal? I thought that it should be getting used up and I should have to keep adding more to the tank or have I got it all wrong?

Hi brb98, I'm doing this cycle thing too - and have not had any change either, so I am glad to see that it's ok. I stsrted off with fish though and had some deaths so ended up taking them back to the lfs.

Wish I'd come across this place before I did all that but better late than never.

Hope the cycle passes quick for both of us, let me know how you getting on!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cycling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling Question   Cycling Question Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 am

It can take a few days for the bacteria to grow to enough numbers to start 'eating' the ammonia. As long as you have the temperature at the right level, and the filter running, it will start to happen - eventually! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cycling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling Question   Cycling Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycling Question
Page 1 of 1