Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Using Silicone in a tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack O Byte

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Using Silicone in a tank  Empty
PostSubject: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Folks,

First off, HI ALL! (this is my first posting).

Just starting out and I'm setting up a second-hand fresh-water tropical tank (a Juwel Rekord 80). Can anyone tell me if there's a problem with using silicone other than "Aquarium specific”? I have some kitchen silicone from B&Q that I thought I could use. I'm fixing a digital thermometer to the inside of the glass.

Many thanks,
J
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi J And welcome to the forum Using Silicone in a tank  3199

You need to use the Aqua sealent for the fish tanks ONLY.
as the other D.I.Y Stuff has some ingredients in that smell
and will effect your tank water, and most likely poison your fish.

you will be doing the fishless cycle yes?
and we need step by step comentry and of course pics.
Using Silicone in a tank  775391

Fishless cycle
click the link.

http://tinyurl.com/2u3bpmt
Back to top Go down
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks Chez, I'll buy some of the aqua stuff tonight.

Yep, I've been reading the forum for about a week so I've been swung to the route of fishless cycling, starting with hardy fish etc but thanks for checking!

My tank is standard so far, with natural-coloured gravel. When the silicone is dry I'll add the water ( after I de-chlorinate it), then once up to temp I'll add live plants.

Still patroling the local (within 150miles) shops to decide on the exact fish to aim for, but it's a nice way to spend my time while the water gets to the right chemical balance...

Pics will follow, and hopefully not of floating fish!!!

J
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 am

hi jack

welcome to the forums mate nice of you to join us, you have done the right thing by doing your homework and gone for the fishless cycle looking forward to seeing some pics Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 am

Jack

I Don't think you put real aqua plants in while you are cycling.??
Someone will be along soon as to advise on this further.
come on here and ask about fish for the tank and what goes ok and what doesan't,
were all here to help if we can.

GO ON GET A OSCAR Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_eek you know you want to..lol Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 5:35 am

Hiya Jack and welcome to the forum, and the hobby.

Have you managed to suss out where you are going to get the ammonia from for your fishless cycle? Usually Boots, Homebase or Ebay seem to be the ones to look in, just make sure that it doesn't have any perfumes in and is just pure ammonia.

As for plants, you can add them but most recommend that you wait for the cycle to be finished as they can slow down the process.

Any problems with the cycle then dont hesitate to yell Smile
Back to top Go down
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks Diana,
I bought some ammonia (pure) from Boots last night. I also tracked down some aquarium silicone and attached my digital thermometer (£12 from Maplin) which also records min/max temp and has a high/low temp alarm.

I tried to order an ATI tester kit and some spare filters from Charterhouse Aquatics who offer free delivery for orders over £50, which sounded fair. I went to the checkout and noticed they had added £19 for postage due to my address (Aberdeen) for being "Ouside Main Courier Zone". It's a shame, they seemed to have a good range of products.

Can you recommend a good online shop I could try?

J
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 pm

If you have to order stuff online, then try here -

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/fish-treatments/test-kits-for-aquariums/api-test-kits/api-liquid-freshwater-master-test-kit.html

Ive used them a few times for various stuff and they seem reliable.
Back to top Go down
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks Diana,
J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Silicone in a tank    Using Silicone in a tank  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Silicone in a tank
Page 1 of 1