Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fish suggestions?

Go down 
+2
dekker
H2O
6 posters
AuthorMessage
H2O
H2O

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 pm

I started my 60 litre tank with 6 zebra danios then added a Siamese fighter. Any suggestions as to how many more fish (if any) I can add and what would go best with those I already have? I love the zebras! We even have names for them as they are all different.

I would like a mix. the zebras and the betta are complete opposites! The betta is such a graceful fish. I could stare at it for hours. fish
Back to top Go down

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 pm

I Found my zebras to be fin nippers
may have been just mine

even my megs (dog is a ankle nipper Fish suggestions? Icon_rolleyes )
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:03 am

They seem to be ignoring the betta and vice versa. I think the zebras are mad tho! They're too busy nipping each other to bother with the betta. crazy
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 pm

i have some black widow tetra's and they are fine with most other fish.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 am

I would be very careful about adding fish in with a male beta, as it can be a recipe for disaster.

Betas are often best left on their own because they either attack other fish, or get targeted by tankmates.

I know Mary has Oto's in with her beta and has not had any problems. I read that cherry barbs were ok with them, and so got some to be in with my male, but they harassed him constantly and had to be moved out. I then tried a BN but the same thing happened so my male betta is now on his own.
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 am

I got 4 Eel Loaches, several Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 tiny shoaling fish but I've forgotten what they are called. The guy wrote the name down but I can't find the bit of paper. Gonna go back today to ask. Doh!

So far, so good. The betta was my son's choice and that's what proved so difficult in the fish shop. We were there for ages deciding on the last few fish. That's the tank stocked now. Unless the betta eats the shrimp? fish
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 am

H2O wrote:
I got 4 Eel Loaches, several Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 tiny shoaling fish but I've forgotten what they are called. The guy wrote the name down but I can't find the bit of paper. Gonna go back today to ask. Doh!

So far, so good. The betta was my son's choice and that's what proved so difficult in the fish shop. We were there for ages deciding on the last few fish. That's the tank stocked now. Unless the betta eats the shrimp? fish

Where did you get them from ?
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 am

Aquacadabra. You know the shop down by Lower London Road?
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:52 am

H2O wrote:
Aquacadabra. You know the shop down by Lower London Road?

Yip I know it..... Fish suggestions? 392368 you can do alot better than that you know, any time I was in there well.........cant say to much as this is a public forum. There more interested in the Reptiles through the back.

If your ever in Hadington for the day I strongly recommend...

http://www.outsideinsideaquatics.co.uk/

He's the best..........never ever sell you something that would not belong in your tank. He's so knowledgeable and likes nothing better than passing it on to you.
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:54 am

Yeh, the place looks really bad from the outside but inside it has so many things to look at. There is only one guy who is helpful though and I always ask his advice. He is very knowledgeable.
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 am

Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 1:00 am

I may just look that up although I won't get any more fish in that tank.
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 am

The four shoaling fish I got are Celebes Rainbow Fish. All seems ok so far. Can only see three of my six Red Fire Shrimp and one of the Silver Silk Loaches. Great fun looking for them! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 pm

sat back and enjoy them now mate

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 am

the betta limits your choice greatly - but on the upside, they dont tend to live too long (a year or so) by which time, your tankwill be nice n cycled and mature - you can add a handful (half dozen) otos - your tank will handle them no problem

I have the following min my 60liter and no issues

12 Neon Tetra
8 Emperor Tetra
8 Silvertip Tetra
10 Galaxy Rasbora (Celestial Danios)
5 Bronze Corydora catfish
4 Blue Rams
6 Black Neon Tetra
6 otos

Admittedly I have an external filter rated at 120 liters as well as a hang on back filter with the same rating - but with time and patience and upgrades of gear - you can 'overstock' without problems - as long as the social habits of all are agreeable and no level of the water is over crowded (eg too many bottm dwellers) and you cater for the needs in terms of open water, plants etc - all will be fine Wink

The problems arise when character fish such as bettas arrive - they either want the place to themselves or are ok - but then end up being the targets of bullies (fin nipped) and in a 60 liter tank - your limited to smaller species of fish which narrows it down largely to tetras, danio and rasboras - the first two groups are usually too hyperactive or nippy top be housed with a betta

However - knowledge comes with experience or you may strike it lucky and 'get away' with something the books etc say you cant - this is part of the hobby, if in doubt, try it out - just be prepared for the occasions when thing go wrong because they do and usually at the most inconvienient time (like good friday when my main filter broke down on my main tank last year or heaters failing during winter)

Good luck and dekker wants pics of your tank Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

you said it rich - as and when you can H2O some pics would be nice

dekker
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Its great when your tank is all sorted and the fish are in it. Be warned though - it wont be long till you will start wanting to go just that bit bigger, and will be planning how to fit another tank in the corner Smile
Back to top Go down
H2O
H2O

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:48 am

Bit of an upset. I've lost 3 of the Rainbow Fish. 3 mornings this week, there has been one at the bottom of the tank. I'm quite gutted. I wonder what I've done wrong? I feel quite guilty. The first one that died had lost an eye, the third one I found this morning with one of the loaches on top of it. My daughter said that it looked like the Eel Loach was sucking the Rainbow's tail. What have I done?

I'm quite sure I'll lose the other one. I know they're only wee fish but we were looking forward to seeing their colours when they matured. What should I do now? Should I buy new fish or leave it?

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:43 pm

You haven't necessarily done anything wrong. Have you checked your water params, that the filter is working ok and the water temp is fine? Have you added anything into the tank that could have affected them - new fish, plants etc?

If you have done that and all of them are fine, then to be honest you just have to accept it as one of those things. Some fish are just weak and don't last long, and it could well be the case here.

It's one of the draw backs about keeping fish, but it does give the opportunity of restocking. I usually wait about a couple of weeks after a fish death before I get any more just to make sure all is well.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 3:16 am

sounds like diana has given you good sound advice - the only thing i would say is never add the water form the bag when you get new fish always net them that way if there is anything in the lfs water you will not be adding it to yours. good luck mate

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:17 am

Good point dekks, I had forgotten about that Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 1:47 am

no problem diana we can't remember everything can we - what were we on about now scratch

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fish suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions?   Fish suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fish suggestions?
Page 1 of 1