Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bumble bee fish

Go down 
+2
Grampa
hayzy
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hayzy

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-03-19

fish - bumble bee fish Empty
PostSubject: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am

Hi all have had 180 ltr tank since september all has been fine bought what was displayed as a bumblebee tetra lovely placid fish but after a day seen it nipping fins on my geos was advised in the shop it would be fine with them.Tried to look them up on internet but cant seem to find them any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am

hayzy wrote:
Hi all have had 180 ltr tank since september all has been fine bought what was displayed as a bumblebee tetra lovely placid fish but after a day seen it nipping fins on my geos was advised in the shop it would be fine with them.Tried to look them up on internet but cant seem to find them any ideas?

Hi hayzy....do you mean them ? http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bumblebee+gobies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 am

No ain't them thanks slow swimmer more like a tetra shape very defined lines bout 2inch talk about silent assasin.
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:02 am

Going to have to take it back lovely looking fish such a shame i just believe what im told in shop dying to know what it really is!Didnt think a fish that small could nip unoticed!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:31 am

Hiya hayzy, welcome to TFF. Sorry you have been having problems - can't say I have heard of bumblebee tetras tbh, but f it is cauing havoc in your tank then you are best to get rid.

It will be interesting what the real identity of them is though so let us know if the shop are able to tell you Smile
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 am

It would be intersting to know yes! Could i post a pic you probably know what it is wouldnt say havoc but very clever thing seems to stalk them!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 am

A pic would be great, and might help us id the killer fish! fish - bumble bee fish Icon_evil fish - bumble bee fish Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 am

How do i post a pic?
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 am

fish - bumble bee fish Pictur17
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 am

Might be wrong but I think that might be a Bumblebee cichlid, but I cant make out in the photo if it has the top din or not so could be totallly wrong!

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/cichlids/crabro.html

narky, and aggressive to other fish I think so it may explain why you are having problems

Last edited by Diana on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am

Doesn't look like a tetra to me but it'll be interesting to know what it really is.
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

fish - bumble bee fish Pictur18
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 am

This pic may be clearer aint a cichlid i think??Black lines are much darker when viewed normaly.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 am

Ok, so it's not a cichlid - goes to show how good I am at identifying fish lol.

Nice looking little fish but to be honest I havent got a clue what it is fish - bumble bee fish 876616

How big are they?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 am

Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am

Isn't that something called a headstander or something like that ?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 am

No idea gertie, not something I have heard of before.
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

Diana wrote:
No idea gertie, not something I have heard of before.

I think you've cracked it there Diana........looks very like it and the explanation hayzy gives seems to ring true to form.
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am

Thank you thats it very sneaky thing had to much success with this tank its going tommorrow anyone want one??You wouldnt believe it till you have a long watch looks so peacefull.Shop told me yeh it will be fine wont bother anything!!!
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 am

hayzy wrote:
Thank you thats it very sneaky thing had to much success with this tank its going tommorrow anyone want one??You wouldnt believe it till you have a long watch looks so peacefull
Quote :
.Shop told me yeh it will be fine wont bother anything!!!

And how many times have I heard that.
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:58 am

I remember when I first started up, I was looking for a pair of Sheeps heads Accaras. I spotted what I thought was them in a shop in Glasgow. The fish name on the tank said it was, so I asked the guy, he said yip thats them there.

I'll have a pair of them then, when I got home and released them they started ripping hell out of all the plants then they started to develop strange black stripes on there sides, then one of them started bullying and chasing the other one so much it was lieing on its side beggin for mercy.

Yip you've guessed it.........A pair of Convicts............. fish - bumble bee fish 48938
Back to top Go down
hayzy

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 am

Yep!!!Shame though very noticable would probably be good in right tank not the fishes fault.You would think they would be experts in such a place.Thanks for your help at least i know i can tell when things are not right.So you have to learn by yourself it seems,lucky there are forums like this thanks for all your help at glad i didnt put some convicts in fish - bumble bee fish 510692 only luck though lol!!I wonder is it just bussiness or unwise employees?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Unfortunately there seem to be few (if any) lfs that give really decent advice on buying or keeping fish.

They all come out in na rash at the mention of the fishless cycle, and rarely know which fish are compatible with which.

Glad we managed to get it identified in the end, and maybe when you tell the shop what fish it is, and how big it can grow, they might take a bit more care selling it the next time.

Won't hold my breath though!
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Youd be surprised how many times bad info is given out, especially to newbies, some of them get into real problems because they follow the 'expert advice' from shops..
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 am

The fish in the pics is DEFINTATLY the last one diana posted a link too

if you not read the description, then do so - its a bully of the highest order

The 'headstanders' ie seen in some (not so good) LFS's tend to be penguin tetras or pencilfish/hockystick fish.

Ive got to say - Im really really lucky to have excellent LFS with knowledgeable staff - and honest too - if they dont know, they look it up or ask others they know - and anything that arrives in their boxes in an order they dont recognise - they dont sell until they know what it is.

We all love looking in the LFS and see stuff that we go 'ooooohhhh thats lovely' about - but if in doubt - leave it out. You can always 'reserve' the fish (come to an agreement with the shopkeeper) and do your own homework or you do have a legal right to return a fish if its misidentified - even past the shops return policy - in the case of this fish, they owe you compensation for lost stock on top of the fish itself.

I think weve come across a good number of mis-sold fish on here now so dont feel dumb about it - but likewise, have the gutss to fight about it withthe LFS - if you let them get away with it, theyll do it again.

If they wont play ball - walk to the door, pick up your mobile and call trading standards along with the enviroment officer of the local council Wink

Whilst not as bad a painted or grossly morphed fish, mis-selling is in a similar bad batch to me.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bumble bee fish   fish - bumble bee fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bumble bee fish
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next