Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

POORLY FISH

Go down 
+2
Mary
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 5:37 am

Returned from hols, and checking all my fish are still alive and well - which thery are but I ma a bit concerned about one of them

My black moor, which had another fish put in his tank just before I went away, looks decidely iffy. He has definate sticky out scales all round his tummy area, and his tail fins are in shreds. Water check done and is fine.

A few weeks ago he did show signs of dropsy - sticky out scales - but it settled quickly with a course of Interpet No9, so I have started that again and also added some Melafix for the fins. He is swimming round the tank ok, and is feeding.

I am not sure what is going on with him. As I say, he has displayed the signs of dropsy ( could be false dropsy maybe??), and recpvered ok, but the shredded tail fins are a new thing. I think he may also have a few white spots on him too - on his fins, but his tank mate is in fine fettle and doesnt have any sign of any illness.

Any ideas what the best course of actionis. I cant isolate him because my q tank is now the betta bachelor pad Sad
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 7:03 am

Shame about the shredded tail which could be finrot (if so, Myxazin is the recommended treatment) but my Fantail Goldfish exhibited symptoms of dropsy recently (the sticking out scales for one) and I treated it in the Q tank, first with eSHa 2000 and then Interpet #9 and it made a complete recovery.

I've a feeling that it might have been 'false' dropsy though. I guess you'll just have to get another Q tank, Diana - that's how I ended up with so many tanks as I kept turning Q tanks into small community tanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 am

I think you are right Mary, a q tank is essential. What woiuld you treat for first with this - the might be dropsy, the fin rot (although it looks more shredded than other pics of it I have seen) or the white spots which may or may not be ich?

I am at a loss to know why this has all happened as the water stats are fine and the other fish in the tank is great. I will nip out to the shops tomorrow and get some meds and a small tank for it.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:21 am

Whenever I treat a sick fish, I always start with a wide spectrum med such as eSHa 2000 and then narrow it down to a specific med e.g. Myxazin for finrot or ulcers, Interpet #9 for bacterial infections etc. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:24 am

Thanks Mary. I am afraid the fish died this afternoon. I dont know why I never seem to have much look with goldfish, they never last long even though they are treated the same as the trops in terms of water changes. feeding regime etc.

I have decided that if my sole remaining goldie dies, I am going to turn the fishtank into a tropical one and get a decent size plec for it instead.
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 am

why not try a marine tank instead just for corals and inverts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:36 am

Oh dont tempt me!!

You know, I hadn't even considered that............... monkey

A 100 litre tank, could add a few bits and pieces to it I guess, not a bad size help

Nah, sanity has prevailed, especially when I try and think of how all the bits and pieces would fit into a standard coldwater tank lid/ Phew, that was close!!! crazy
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 am

i think you are just worried it will make you get rid of all the other tank's lol
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 am

We all know the darkside always loses in the end so may as well stick toy your guns Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the fish flipping a fin on you - bit unscaible to say the least - but on a serious note - Ive 'recovered' fish from dropsy - but they always seem to get it again sooner or later (bettas in my case and a couple if ruby barbs) so maybe its oine of thise things we cant truly get rid of?

Anyway 100ltr tanks - looks like someone else is going to be getting BN's Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 am

get the bn.s diana just discovered i have some baby bn.s - i have seen about 5 up to now

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 am

Oh that's lovely dekks Smile

I already have BN's in my trop tank, and love them. They are one of my favourite fish, although they can give problems (or mine can anyway) when they take a dislike to each other!

I think if anything happens to this goldie I have left it, the tank will be turned into a BN palace - I would love to get a female BN and a few shrimp too.

Feel sorry for this Goldie (Patrick). I am already planning what is going to replace it and it isnt even sick yet. He will be keeping an eye on what I feed him in case it's laced with something! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 am

Sorry to hear about the fish. Sad

If you decide to make a nice marine tank, you have plenty of people to learn from. Usually it's the other way around... laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 am

dekker wrote:
get the bn.s diana just discovered i have some baby bn.s - i have seen about 5 up to now

dekker

Im not joking - i bet you can put a zero onto that for the true number - they haide in the sort of places that are a nightmare to get at - stands to reason really Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
mafiafran

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-23

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 pm

i think you are just worried it will make you get rid of all the other tank's lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fish - POORLY FISH Empty
PostSubject: Re: POORLY FISH   fish - POORLY FISH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

POORLY FISH
Page 1 of 1