Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks

Go down 
+2
Diana
Mary
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Empty
PostSubject: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 am

While there was predominantly marine tanks, there was also a nice selection of Freshwater Species set up in specific Biotope tanks. Alas, no flash photography was allowed so the image quality isn't as good as I'd like.tantrum

If you thought Oscars were large, you can see them here in relation to their much larger tank mates.
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3453478842_e4315fc911 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451598882_53bcc09a76
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450781493_4b69938df6 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450781541_9ac801d197

Malawi Lake Tank containing various Cichlid species such as Parrotfish, Haplos and Mbunas.
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450782225_0d28f73acd Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451599850_cebc0c6c8e

Congo River Tank containing species such as Congo Tetras, Upside-down Catfish and an Elephant Nose Fish that kept butting the catfish off the ledges... laughing
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450782007_8fc0e29736 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451599704_bb42210198
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450782075_f1c549bc45 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3453478952_3f5729a282

Amazon Tank with Angelfish, Cardinal and Neon Tetras and a large shoal of something else that I can't remember... scratch
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450781749_d7c73e96f1

For those who wonder about the potential size of a Common Plec, here's an example in relation to Cardinal and Neon Tetras... silent ...plus a nifty magnified porthole view of the Goldfish tank.
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451599364_f0d3b54277 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451599450_3296ab10f4

Some Rams and Shrimp species in another tank.
Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3451599136_54abbc0802 Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks 3450781367_653a588585
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:50 am

Fantastic photos Mary, really enjoyed looking at them. The size of the oscars is just amazing - chez had better get saving for her next tank I think!

I love the colours in the malawi tank - considering you were not able to use flash you did really well to get those pictures. It looks like a great place to go and have a look round.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:58 am

Diana wrote:
The size of the oscars is just amazing - chez had better get saving for her next tank I think!

I know! laughing
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:09 am

Elvis will be feeling inferior!

Not only has he got to put up with some salties next door and the curse of the pink net, but now he will see the size of THOSE!!! laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:36 am

Indeed. lol!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 am

When plymouth aquarium first opened some years back, they had a fantastic setup - you started the tour at the top of the tower, and they has a tiny little stream like effect with the appropriate fish etc in it (so obviously freshwater) then as you followed the tour you followed the course of water tot he oceans

Sadly its not like this anymore - more 'toys' and buttons to press etc - its not as good as it was no matter what 'improvements' they claim to have made.

Those freshy tanks look good tho - time to water seal my basement n lounge me thinks Very Happy who thinks a room that 10foot tall, 18foot long and 10 wide is too small?
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:04 am

Mary wrote:

Amazon Tank with Angelfish, Cardinal and Neon Tetras and a large shoal of something else that I can't remember... scratch

Possibly Penguin fish ? they grow to about 70mm - swim at a funny angle and look like black neon tetras from a distance

anyway - im surprised they keep angelfish with all those tasty snacks swimming around inthe same tanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:45 am

I know! So much for "Angelfish will eat Cardinal and Neon Tetras" - these seemed to be coexisting no bother. Although it was a huge tank which might explain it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 am

I wonder sometimes whether the angels in a home aquarium are 'eating' the fish cos theyre hungry - or if they are 'defending the territory' and just nipping more than a fin - think about it, if an angelfish nips (for example) a neons tail - your likely to have a crippled neon - and then every fish in the tank is gonna home in on the injured fish as nature designed them to do

my theory anyway Wink ie given a big enough home aquarium, you probably could keep neons and angels in the same tank
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 am

Sounds like a plausible theory, Rich. Wink
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

stunning photos mary great place - must go to one soon loved the mbuna tank fabulous

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks, dekker. It's quite small - you'd get through it in about an hour - but the setups are lovely. Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

i would be stood in front of the mbuna for an hour alone.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:13 am

Well that's prob true. I, however, was on an agenda as I was meeting my sister-in-law for a browse through the shops so time was of the essence. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 am

a quick run round the aquarium and off to the shops then. - and with all those tanks to veiw.

lol!

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 9:13 am

Yep - basically went from tank to tank snapping photos...and then legged it! Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 4:03 pm

well at least you got to see them wish i could - going to have to go to one very soon our son has been to the one at hull he say's that was very good so may try to get there.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Im not 100% sure but I think its Portsmouth (or Weymouth) who are supposed to have a very good one too
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:12 pm

thanx rich i would like to see them all at some time

dekker
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 pm

Great photo's Mary, really colourful tanks too.

Must have a look for some local aquariums to visit. I went to one in Plymouth (I think!!) a few years ago - had some great little octopus (octopi??)
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 pm

If you went a few years ago - youd be very dissapointed with it if you went again now

I went a year after it first opened and it was excellent - I took my nephews a couple of years ago (December 2007) and it was rubbish - the only good part was the nwer shark tank and the fact theyd increased the size of the main display tank (the huge one with cod etc in it)

overall - very dissapointed

The one in torquay - DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT) unless you dont mind spending £10 per adult for a 60min (time it takes to see everything) and the main thing is seals (wich yoiu can see for free int he next door harbour) and penguins (if you squint to the distance that is)
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 7:58 pm

love the pics and fish ! i want to go !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks   Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dingle Aquarium - Freshwater Tanks
Page 1 of 1