Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yet another fish question

Go down 
+2
dekker
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - Yet another fish question Empty
PostSubject: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:40 pm

ok, so now I only have 2 goldfish when I did have 4, I am being pestered to get another one - I have said a big NO to that due to tank size but have compromised and said we can get another tropical fish.

Now I know I asked a little while ago for suggestions, but this is a bit different. Taryn wants me to get just one fish, that she will be able to see and know is hers - so not more fish to join a shoal or anything like that, but a decent sized fiish that will be just for her.

She wanted another plec, but I think I have enough furtling about on the gravel, so what is best?

She quite likes the look of the male betta's but I am not sure if that would be suitable, but it gives you a bit of an idea what she has in mind.

Would appreciate all suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:46 pm

1 OSCAR fish
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm

how about an angel fish diana or a clown loach some thing like that.

i suppose it depends on what she likes hope you get sorted

dekker
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Hmmm... clowns like company and get huge.

Have you thought about Killifish? You could get a pair of golden panchax - they reach about 3" and are mostly surface dwellers, very tame (mine would swim through my fingers - sure Taryn would approve!) and a lovely golden colour.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 pm

I hadnt thought of killifish - and know little about them tbh. I'll have a read up on them but take it they are general community type fish?

EDIT - just looked on the killifish site and there are hundreds of various types! Anyone know which particular species I should look for?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm

The Panchax I had always did well in my community with my rainbows.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 pm

thanks indi - off to do a bit more reading Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:53 am

Gardeneri. My dad has a pair and they get on great!!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 2:12 am

OK - as said, nope to the clown loaches for obvious reasons, id say the same to angels as well - now as for betta - well its possible, IF you go for females.

I dont see anything in your list of fish that will present any issues (or for the betta to target) - females like the males come in many colours (trust me on this, when fairly new to a LFS they are stressed and ALL show the same brown n black barred effect - even white ones can do this)

Females bettas are very very tame (just a matter of earning their trust and being nice around them) and will swim around the fingers etc - you could get half a dozen and one (or two) could be named as belonging to your oh so spoiled little one Very Happy

I have also heard good things about panchax - and another option is something like Rams/Kribs ie fish with more character.

Failing that, dwarf gouramis ? a cobalt make and a red robin female - or some other such mix?

You really do have alot of choices to be honest - i wouldnt set yours or anyones hearts on any one specific fish as its you-know-whos law that the LFS dont have em in stock when you go fishing Wink

Have a short list of possibles and see whats in stock and what really catches your eye (average net/book pics often dont do the fish any justice)

As I said in my recent post - male enders are fantastic little fish - again, would be safe in your tank.

As nasty as this will sound - there is another major advantage to female bettas - like the males, they dont live long (in comparison to other fish) so when your kid gets bored of the novelty, you wont be stuck with fish you may nbot be particularly fond of for long.

Anyway, have fun window shopping Very Happy - when I go window shopping, I usually end up getting 5 windows - which = 1 fish tank so be warned Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 am

Rich wrote:
you could get half a dozen and one (or two) could be named as belonging to your oh so spoiled little one Very Happy

I didn't know you had met her! laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 am

Rich wrote:
Failing that, dwarf gouramis ? a cobalt make and a red robin female

Nice fish but alas, not very long-lived atm. My pair lasted less than four months...Sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 pm

This is the problem isn't it Mary.

She like the look of the male betta, but her first question about all fish now is "Do they live long?" - I think the fact two goldfish have died and her dog died a couple of weeks ago too had made her want something that is going to stick around for a while..
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Hmmm.... panchax are meant to live about 3 years (they are not one of the 'annual' killifish.)

Kribensis - about 5 years but a pair can get very aggressive when breeding. (mine killed several platties)

A Betta can live up to 4 years if you get a decent one.

Ooooh, just a thought, a spiney eel? Unusual, unique, mine eat from hand (but do only eat bloodworm) A zebra spiney eel doesn't get too big and their mouths are not big enough to eat your existing fish - they are not aggressive at all and fairly easy/cheap to get hold of.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Diana wrote:
made her want something that is going to stick around for a while..

Just tell her when she's older, she probably have a boyfriend/husband and she'll be all too keen to get rifd of this pet Very Happy

Twig catfish?
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another fish question   fish - Yet another fish question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another fish question
Page 1 of 1