Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cory

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

cory Empty
PostSubject: cory   cory Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 am

I have 4 corys in my 4 foot tank 2 bronze and 2 sterbai before christmas I noticed one of the bronze corys had lost the bottom fin on its tail treated tank with melafix and its tail has all but grown back . Two weeks ago I noticed that the same cory had a mark on its side as if it has scraped itself on something so have been doing 2 water changes a week to keep water spot on, on thursday morning I noticed that where the mark was on its side it had white fungus growing on it, have started treating the whole tank with king british fin and fungus, it says on the bottle to keep treating unti disease has cleared what about water changes? it doesnt mention anything on bottle or box about water changes while doseing, should I continue to do my water changes as normal or stop until fungus has gone.
What worries me is that with a large plec in the tank I am going to get a spike , anybody got any ideas ?
I have tried to catch it and quarentine it but its too fast and I thought it better to treat the whole tank just incase.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 am

a spike?

I doubt it tbh - especially if your doing water changes

the plec could be doing the damage - they are genery omnivours - veggies dont move too quick and neither do sick fish - and a plec can 'hunt' when the mood takes - taking chuncks out of the tail is the classic way for a predator to slow down another fish dinner.

Two nets are easier than one - and two ppl can make it even easier (one person lays in wait like a trap whilst the other guides the target towards trap)

Mela fix and pimafix combo will work well - and im sure the KB stuff is pretty good (I used safe water in the past during my noobish spikes and it cleared them in minutes) - I suspect its a case of no water changes during treatment and then 25% change at the end (likewise remove carbon media as this will remove most of the meds from the water in a short time)

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 5:20 am

As above I dont think you would get a spike of anything - your bacteria colony is well established.

You could keep the water changes to weekly, and top up the amount of meds yopu have lost - ie if you do a 30% water change you will have lost 30% of the meds and so could increase the doseage to compensate I guess on that day. dunno
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 7:49 am

just had a brainwave (annuak event, make the most of it)

I seem to remember KB have a contact nmber on the box or instructions somewhere - i called em once and they were really helpful - or email etc here
http://kingbritish.co.uk (goto contact us page)

I looked on their site for you for instructions and found none - that isnt to say some kind soul on the net hasnt posted them tho
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks Rich will give them a ring tomorrow looking at it today the white fluff seems to be looking a bit better, will still contact them just to find out about water changes, I dont know why they can't put important info in the instructions , water change to me is the most important thing to do, if the water is crap the fish are dead. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:30 pm

Rung up king british this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady and yes you carry on with water changes as normal and then redose the tank, thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Told you they were helpful cory 506402

IOts a shame 99.99999% of the other complanies you phone are not as ahlepful (a lesson to be leanred there)

Anyway - fingers crossed all is sorted soon
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Well the cory with fungus is back to normal at long last, it also lost part of its tail fin a while back, I think the big angel had a go at it, and thats growing back as well so fingers crossed everything is quiet and peaceful at the moment dunno
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: cory   cory Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:09 pm

nice to hear your cory is makeing a recovery alison and that its nice and quite
now.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary