Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cory question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 10:56 pm

Right Indi, it's pick your brains time!

I am more or less set on getting some corys for the tank but want to make sure I have the right set up for them.

Firstly, I have a gravel substrate. I have read that corys prefer sand so would that be a problem?

Second, I have a tank 30" wide x 18" high. The floor of the tank is divided in two by a large piece of bogwood, and both Bristlies have their own cave in their own half. I had to do this because the bigger of the two was getting a bit bolshie. How would corys fit into this set up - would there be more territorial problems?

Third, do corys need their own caves etc or do they just mooch about?

Finally (phew!!), how many corys is considered the best to get. I am wondering if there would be room on the floor for all of them or would they all end up getting in each others way?

Over to you now! :lol:
Back to top Go down

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 11:02 pm

................and breathe.............. :lol:
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 11:44 pm

i think 6 corries is the best option

gravel is ok but can wear down their barbels

mine always mooch about and swim all over the tank and stop where they want and snooze
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 am

Not sure I have enough space for 6 of them, they get to a reasonable size dont they? Might have to have a bit of a rethink - again!
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 12:55 am

You can get dwarf corys, theyre cute!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 am

Ah, now THAT might be a good idea .................off to do a bit of reading :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 am

Well, thats it - decision made. Thanks for the suggestion phishy. I am not going to get them for another few weeks, want to make sure that my tank is free from belly bursting phenomena, but I will get a few of them soon.

Cant wait now :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:40 am

LOL

Dwarf corys are cute. There are other corys that don't grow as big as 'common' ones but they are generally between 2"-4"

I've never had any territory issues with bristlies and corys.

If you have very coarse gravel they might not be too keen but fine stuff is no problem, the main thing is that it doesn't have sharp edges.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:44 am

It's called pea gravel indo - you can see it in my pics on this section (set-ups). Do you think that would be ok. It is smooth and the BN's seem happy enough on it.
Back to top Go down

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 am

I have a 90litre tank and just 3 guppies in it at the minute. I am looking to add to that. Would these dwsrf corys be ok for a tank that size and how many could I have. Would I have to get some bogwood for them. Also I dont have real plants, would they be ok with artificial ones. Would they have to be fed differently?

Sorry, I seem to have asked a load of questions now! :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:28 am

Hi Mousey,

Cory's don't need wood so that is fine. You could fit several (6 or so) dwarf corys in a 90l but you could also fit 4 or 5 'normal' corys in there - they tend to be easier to find.

Feeding wise, they will eat any food that reaches the bottom but I also give mine some catfish pellets to make sure they do get a good meal.
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:55 am

Ive had my corys for nearly a year now and nowhere near as big as the giant ones ive seen, so are these dwarf too?? Theyre about 1.5 inch long
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
indigoj
indigoj

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Dwarf Cory is http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=482 or http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=283

Mine are not huge either and I've had them about 10 months, I think they tank a while to reach the big sizes.

Normal bronze or albino corys grow fairly quickly to about 2" then seem to slow down.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for the links indi. I see that they recognise that the substrate is covered by a layer of oak leaves. I have never seen that used anywhere and would have thought that they would have rotted? Have you seen this used anywhere?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I shall now throw a spanner in the works and suggest Zebra Loaches as an alternative, Diana. They have a very mild temperament and busy behaviour but you only need a minimum of three. Plus they eat aquatic snails, a major bonus. I'm one of those rare fish people who has no interest in cories, I prefer loaches... silent :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cory question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cory question   Cory question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cory question
Page 1 of 1