Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sick barb

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:06 am

Can anyone help me with this? I have 3 cherry barbs and one of the female ones is behaving weird tonight. it just seems to be swimming up to the top of the tank, and is finding it hard to stay down under the water. it looks like she is trying to swim down to the bottom half of the tank but just keeps getting up at the top again.

i have heard a bt about swim bladder problems - can cherry barbs get this and if yes what causes it? all the others seem fine. water stats are 0-0-15. she is eating bit but cant always get to the food before all the others.

ive got a spare tank not set up that i could put her in but no cycled filter so dont know if thats worth it.

can anyone give me some ides what to do, thanks.
Back to top Go down

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 4:48 am

Oh sorry driver, i haven't clue. Hopefully one of the experts will come on soon and be able to help you! it's a bit quiet on here today, probably everyone's getting over Christmas lol!
Back to top Go down

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 9:21 am

it is quiet - we must have more stamina than most Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:20 am

Hi tardis. Sorry to hear you're having problems. As well as all the Christmas brouhaha, I'm also recovering from a nasty virus so stamina is definitely compromised. Wink

Re: your cherry barb. Are there any noticeable marks/cuts on its body?
Back to top Go down

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm

hiya mary, sorry youve not been well. feeling better now? as for the barb, no marks, lumps bumps cuts etc. just weird behaviour as if it cant swim properly
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 6:45 am

Hi all.. sorry ive not been on, chaos rules, lol

Driver.. what is happening now with the barb? Swim Bladder Problems

Swim bladder problems are caused by bacterial and viral infections. The swim bladder helps the fish to control
it's buoyancy, allowing it to maintain its position in the water. Internal bacterial infections can affect its function, making it difficult for fish to maintain position. Interpet do a med called Swim Bladder Treatment No.13.

I found a little more info quoted here..
Quote :
A variety of factors can cause this disorder, including sudden temperature changes, infections, injuries, and even an overly full stomach that presses against the swim bladder.
and..
Quote :

The swim bladder is a gas filled sac in the dorsal area of your fish.This is what allows your fish to swim freely. If your pet has gouged itself silly, its small stomach swells and puts pressure on the swim bladder hence the strange behaviour. Or if your fish is constipated it's digestive tract is clogged up, and again putting pressure on this important buoyancy organ.
How do we solve this problem?
Your pets need to go on a fast, for a few days. Don’t worry they can live over a week without food. Fasting should help solve both types of problems. You then need to give them a variety of different foods, such as peas, (peas seem to be the wonder food for your fish) spinach, lettuce and cucumber, as well as their fish pellets or flakes. If you
give them pellets, pre-soak them before giving them to your fish
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 pm

ok, well i've fasted it, and it does look a bit better but not swimming 100% yet.

I am thinking of feeding it today and will just give it peas but is it ok for the rest of the fish too? it's still in the tank with the other fish.

also i have a spare tank, how would i make this ready for emergency use? i guess it needs a filter but would i have to cycle it every time i needed to use it or is there some way i can keep it ready for emergencies?

also is swimbladder a sign of some problem internal and if so what do i do about it?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:21 am

I've added an info sheet on swimbladder problems to the fish health guides section, that may give you a bit more info Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 10:37 pm

I hadn't read that section Diana, hanks. There's some useful info in there but I hope I never have to use it. Would it be possible to have a list of recommended treatments for each illness to so that us know nothings have an idea which is best?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 11:30 pm

Yes, that's not a problem, I'll try and add some more info to the Guides over the next few days. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sick barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick barb   Sick barb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sick barb
Page 1 of 1