Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tank Longevity

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Tank Longevity Empty
PostSubject: Tank Longevity   Tank Longevity Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Still getting used to the smartie look, but still like it Smile

I was just wondering something. I have had to go and get some sealant for my tank today - I had a bit of a leak from around the top rim. I am guessing that moving the tank had jarred the seal.

It all seems ok now, but I was wondering whether fish tanks have a limit on how long they will last? My tank isnt that old, but just how long do all the seals and joins last for before you have to replace the whiole tank?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Tank Longevity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Longevity   Tank Longevity Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:30 am

It's an interesting question Fishfan. My oldest tank is almost two years old and the tank seals still seem fine. However, I'd had two tanks leak on me in the past year that were less than a year old. Luckily, I was able to successfully reseal both tanks with aquarium sealant and they're now active again and fully watertight. I guess it depends on how well the tank was made in the first place...Wink
Back to top Go down

Tank Longevity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Longevity   Tank Longevity Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 am

10 yrs i was once told but that was before they was mass produced
i was also told you cant put sealent over sealant?
it has to be scraped out.
proberbly wanted me to buy a new tank..
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Tank Longevity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Longevity   Tank Longevity Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 4:43 am

I think that only applies if you have to put more sealant over an already applied layer of sealant. The original tank seals are much sturdier so I didn't bother removing them. Just put a new layer of sealant over the relevant area and it worked fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tank Longevity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Longevity   Tank Longevity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank Longevity
Page 1 of 1