Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Couple of questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Couple of questions Empty
PostSubject: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 6:02 am

Hello again. Sorry I havent been on for a while, but I hope you can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. I have 5 male guppies and thery have all been getting on ok, but lkately one or two of them seem to be having problems. They are chasing their 'brothers' all over the tank, and one male is getting really picked on.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way to stop it? I will take some back to the shop if its the only way to stop it because I dont like to see this fish getting picked on badly.

2. How do you all clean the inside of the gravel vac tubing. I have flushed it through with water a few times in the past, but it is quite gunky now so I would like some foolproof method is there is one.

Thanks a lot, and its nice to be back Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 am

Hiya Guppy. Nice to see you again. wave

Guppy wrote:
1. I have 5 male guppies and thery have all been getting on ok, but lkately one or two of them seem to be having problems. They are chasing their 'brothers' all over the tank, and one male is getting really picked on.

It's probably an hormonal thing, Guppy. I have three male guppies and one of them gets picked on so there's likely to be some sort of hierarchical pecking order also. Wink

Quote :
2. How do you all clean the inside of the gravel vac tubing. I have flushed it through with water a few times in the past, but it is quite gunky now so I would like some foolproof method is there is one.

I asked this question not so long ago too! Every so often, I flush the tubing through with hot water and I also have a nifty double ended wire brush on a flexible wire that I feed through the tube to remove the gunk. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 6:55 am

Can you put the 4 males (minus the one being bullied) in a bucket for a couple of hours with a spare filter? Re introducing them one by one just might change the pecking order a bit (Just keep refreshing the water every 20 mins if you don't have spares)
I have just done something similar in my mbuna fry tank & the male who was weedy is now a different colour & has claimed the biggest cave as HIS.
Of course it could shift the problem to another fish but it wont hurt to try
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks for all the advice. I went out and got a small spare tank and put the baddies in that for a couple of days, giving the bullied one a bit of peace. It was great to see him swim around the tank again instead of hiding all the time.

I then put the others back one by one and it all just kicked off again.

The spare tank is only 15litres. Would it be ok to keep a couple of the more narky ones in there permanently?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:41 am

How about keeping the bullied one in there? Maybe with a few shrimp?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:57 am

Oh that's a shame, but never mind, you tried. Indi's suggestion is the best one i'd say Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions   Couple of questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple of questions
Page 1 of 1