Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions, Questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Questions, Questions Empty
PostSubject: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 am

Hiya Gang, How are you all doing? I'm steadily going through my fishless cycle, but have got a few general questions.

In my 60litre tank, can I have some sort of algae eater - 15 Harlies in there at the minute.

I want to get live plants in there, and also in the 120litre I'm cycling, will algae eaters uproot whatever I put in there?
I will be going on holiday soon (I hope) If I have plants in there what happens about lights for them when I am away? Would they all die without lighting for a week?

Also dont plants need bubbles during the day because they take in 02 at night (or give off co2, one or the other!). How would not having that affect plants and fish?

How long can fish go without being fed?

Sorry for all the questions :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:57 am

i think you could have a small one like a BN benny, or maybe some otos, think theyre ok in a smallish tank, but someone will cionfirm that i hope.

cant you just get the plants when you come back from holiday? if not you can get timers that you could put your air bubbles and lights on that might help.

i think fish could manage a week without food no probs.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm not sure whether the plants would be ok without light for a week, I guess it would depend on how much light as in the room anyway?

Not sure about the bubbles either!

Not sure why I am replying to this coz I dont know anything about it!! Where are the experts when you need them! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Well I have all my tank lights and air pumps plugged into timers so there's no problems when I go away as it's already set up. The fish don't need the lights - that's just so we can see them - but the plants would definitely die without at least 8-10 hours of daily light. Wink
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 pm

i bought several 24hr timers from a local DIY shop for a few pound each!

Well worth the purchase.

I need to set up my air bubbles but the buzzing from the air pump drives me nuts when trying to get my beauty sleep :lol:

Last edited by GeordieDave on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 2:08 am

Some ait pumps sound like a Rolls Royce engine - the reason why I got the Hydor set up - no pump with it!! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:22 am

I had never thought of the plants needing lights on - I was thinking of getting some real plants, but might have a rethink now! I had a timer on a lamp in the living room a few years ago and couldnt figure out how it worked. I never managed to get it to switch the light on! No
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:41 am

tardis wrote:
I had never thought of the plants needing lights on - I was thinking of getting some real plants, but might have a rethink now! I had a timer on a lamp in the living room a few years ago and couldnt figure out how it worked. I never managed to get it to switch the light on! No

lol Smile simple to use once set up
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:03 am

GeordieDave wrote:
I need to set up my air bubbles but the buzzing from the air pump drives me nuts when trying to get my beauty sleep

I only have the air pump on for two hours in the evening. No need to run it 24/7. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:09 am

He needs a lot of beauty sleep though Mary! Questions, Questions 506402
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 3:38 am

Cheeky Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions, Questions   Questions, Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions, Questions
Page 1 of 1