Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Couple of newbie questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Couple of newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Hiya everyone - Im glad you have a beginners section because this is just the right section for me! Very Happy

I dont have a tank yet - I want to make sure I get the right one and the best I can afford. I can spend about £200 probably, but dont know what that will buy and if the tanks i could get for that sort of cash would be ok - would they be too small and not worth getting? A lot of the ones I have seen in various pet shops are quite big and costly. Do any of you have tanks that have cost about this much? It would be great if the cost would include all the bits and bobs that are needed too - heaters etc.

I have also been looking at fish/shrimp/snails etc. I like the thought of having a couple of snails - the fish shop had some great ones in with a yellow shell. Would they keep a tank clear from algae?

Hope you dont mind me asking daft questions!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

Hiya tmag. Have you had a look in the Articles section - there is a bit of info in there on what to look for in a tank that might be useful to you, but basically all you need to think about is where do you want the tank to go, how big is the space you want it to go in, and how much do you want to spend.

it might be worth having a look on ebay. You can sometimes get a good deal on there for used tanks - I got my 200litre tank on there for £70! Also some of the deals at P@H are sometimes quite good. It really is just a case of having a good look round, both in the shops and online.

As for algae eaters, there are some fish that are excellent algae eaters - have a look in the plecs section for some info on them.

Hope that helps but dont hesitate to ask more questions if you need to. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 6:57 am

Ebay definitely. I recently got my huge tank with everything for less than £200.
Have a look for the biggest tank you can fit and afford as bigger is easier to maintain in the long term, also get the biggest filter you can afford as that is the most important piece of kit, a more powerful filter helps a lot with water quality.
There are many fish and snails that will help keep algae at bay - until you have your tank and have cycled it we can't advise on suitable fish or other tankmates.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:50 am

Well good for you for doing the research before you commit. Usually people (myself included!) buy the tank and then do the research after they encounter problems. Wink

I can't add much to the above advice only to reiterate to get the biggest tank you can afford starting out. Anything 100L+ (preferably bigger) is a good size as the water chemistry stays more stable in larger bodies of water, it's easier to maintain plus you have more choice when it comes to fish stock.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi tmag, Usually if you buy a tank from a store it will come with a filter and heater etc.

However as mentioned before check Ebay - I have found some good bargains. I got my tank with stand brand new for £60 mine is fairly small tho (100L of actual water).

It all depends what size tank to what heater and filter etc. However I also recommend an External Filter VERY useful Very Happy

As for Snails - I personally wouldnt have them in my tank with having live plants you usually end up with a few on the plants you buy. But im happy to say I have none.

Btw 9 times out of 10 shopping around online you will find tanks/heaters/filters a lot cheaper than in stores. I got a filter online for around £45 and instores I was looking at £75+

Check these links out for equipment etc:

http://www.thelivingsea.ashopcommerce.com/

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/aquatics-c-772.html?idx=1
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 8:02 am

tmag wrote:
Hiya everyone - Im glad you have a beginners section because this is just the right section for me! Very Happy

I dont have a tank yet - I want to make sure I get the right one and the best I can afford. I can spend about £200 probably, but dont know what that will buy and if the tanks i could get for that sort of cash would be ok - would they be too small and not worth getting? A lot of the ones I have seen in various pet shops are quite big and costly. Do any of you have tanks that have cost about this much? It would be great if the cost would include all the bits and bobs that are needed too - heaters etc.

I have also been looking at fish/shrimp/snails etc. I like the thought of having a couple of snails - the fish shop had some great ones in with a yellow shell. Would they keep a tank clear from algae?

Hope you dont mind me asking daft questions!

Hiya tmag! Dont worry about daft questions - they're used to them on here! :lol: One thing I would say as far as tanks go - buy the biggest you can. It's inevitable that you will end up wanting a 6ft long tank and wishing you had paid out for that instead of the smaller one you got.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 8:00 am

Hiya tmag, Couple of newbie questions 3199 to TFF. I havent been into fishkeeping for all that long, but would certainly recommend getting the biggest tank you can. I started off with a 200 litre one and thought I was making a BIG mistake, that I wouldnt be able to manage it.

Now, after just a few months, I wish I had got a bigger one and would love a 5 or 6ft long one at some time in the future. :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 8:20 am

seapets sometimes have some good offers on and they deliver.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Hiya tmag,

I have recently purchased the latest Fluval Rio tank which is 3.5 foot long by 2ft high and 1.5 deep (front to back). This came with a Fluval 205 external filter, heater and light unit and I got the whole thing (including matching stand & 2 10kg bags of gravel) for £265. So if you went for a slightly smaller model you might be able to get it all for under £200.

With fish, you need to decide which ones you would like to have and we can help you with suitable tankmates then. If you have a look at the breed information section you should find some interesting reading for some starter fish there.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 12:00 am

That sounds like a good deal Rob, what are you going to put in it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 6:48 am

fish??? dunno

scared sofa Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Suspect . HAvent seen you for a whgile charley - wondered why it had all gone quiet and peaceful! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I've just ordered this tmag, it might be worth a look at as it's not a bad size and there are a few offers on them because this range of tanks is being phased out.
http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/stkcode/970830/category/965.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Diana wrote:
That sounds like a good deal Rob, what are you going to put in it?

Hiya Diana, (hope ur having a nice holiday Very Happy ).

It currently houses a common plec, 7 clown loaches, 4 silver sharks, 8 harlies and 10 neons. Oh and a sweetwater mussel.

I seeded the filter with my other media and so it is running fine with perfect levels. Looks lovely, totally planted (just waitin for them to grow) with a piece of fake wood where the clowns live.

I am very happy with this tank and I cant stop looking at it.

Tis 44.4 gallon btw.
x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:21 am

pics Rob, pics!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of newbie questions   Couple of newbie questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple of newbie questions
Page 1 of 1