Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

newbie questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello, newbie alert here! :lol:

I have an old second hand tank that my Dad used to use years ago. It's been in the garage for years but Ive decided to drag it back into use. I dont know what make it is but it's got a lid with a couple of lights in (Ive replaced them) and Ive given it a good wash out with soapy bleach and rinsed it really well. Now the questions start!

I dont have a stand for the tank. Do you need specially made stands or would putting it on a chest of drawers be ok. I know it will be quite heavy when the water is in it.

What sort of filter do I need to get for it? I know my friend has a tank with a filter built into the lid but I cant see how that could fit into the lid of mine so what do I do?

What sort of sand or gravel do I need to get and how much?

I have read about the fishless cycle and want to do that. Where can you get ammonia from? Ive looked at the local supermarket but there's nothing there - can you use anything else?

Sorry for all the questions but I would appreciate any helpyou can give, thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Good to see lots of questions evie :lol:

It is possible to use a table or cabinet for a stand but it really depends on the size of your tank etc. As you say a tank full of water weighs a lot so you will have to be careful that any furniture will withstand that.

How big is your tank? For larger ones it might be worth looking around for a stand for it.

Again, for filters it depends on the size of the tank. You can get internal filters for a reasonable amount, and they are easy to maintain. External filters are preferred by some but both do a decent job. The size of filter will depend on the size of your tank.

If you want sand make sure you dont get coral sand - it makes your ph shoot up dramatically. Gravel needs to be smooth edged - you might get fish that mooch around the bottom of the tank and they can get damaged by sharp gravel.. You need enough to give at least a 2" layer on the bottom.

You can get ammonia from Homebase or online from ebay normally. Make sure it is pure ammonia and has no perfume etc in - oh, and dont sniff it when you get it. It will dissolve your nostrils affraid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Just one thing to add, if the tank has been stood empty a long time I'd fill it up outside and leave it overnight - just to check it is still completley watertight before filling it up inside.

What are the dimensions of the tank?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 am

Thanks for adding that indi, it's a good tip Very Happy
Back to top Go down

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks for all that info. Sorry, I should have written the size of the tank, it's about 110x40x50cm and it holds more or less 180litres. I will leave it standing overnight to checkfor leaks indigoj, thanks for that.

I was thinking of putting the tank on a big dresser in the kitchen but perhaps it might be better to look for a stand. Would it be best to look for one exactly the same size of does it matter if it's a bit bigger?

What is the difference between an external and internal filter, and finally, apart from the obvious what is the difference between using gravel or sand? Is one better than the other?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 8:33 am

evie123 wrote:
What is the difference between an external and internal filter

Well as the name suggests, an internal filter is housed inside the tank and is limited in the amount of filter media that can fit inside but is usually easy enough to access and maintain. While an external filter is normally housed in a cabinet below the tank and has inlet and outlet pipes that fit inside the tank. Sometimes a bit of DIY is required to install one but they tend to be more powerful and have room for lots of filter media which means extra filtration for the tank. Wink

Quote :
Finally, apart from the obvious what is the difference between using gravel or sand? Is one better than the other?

I think a lot of it comes down to the aesthetics of which one you prefer the look of as the addition and maintenance of both types of substrate is fairly similar. Also, it depends on the species of fish you wish to keep as certain species require sand to burrow in e.g. Banjo Catfish. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 am

Hiya newbie!! :lol: . Great to see you are asking questions early on, it saves making mistakes (not that I have ever made any you understand! :lol: )

That's a nice size tank you have, you should be able to have some decent fish when you have done the fishless cycle.

Be careful about putting the tank on a piece of furniture, it wouldnt be funny to have it collapse under a full tank - better to get a stand I think - perhaps somewhere like ebay might have one.

As for filters, I havent used externals but like internals and find then easy and straightforward to use. I would recommend them for a beginner, but I am a scaredy-cat! :lol:
Back to top Go down

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:47 am

Thanks fishfan, and everyone else for all the help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 am

No prob, Evie. 'Tis what we're here for...:lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

newbie questions
Page 1 of 1