Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie Needs Help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 pm

First of all, let me say that I'm new to this site so please be patient with me until I become more familiar with it. I'm hoping to be able to get some advice and learn as much as possible about keeping tropical fish. I have a 26 gallon tank which I've begun to cycle. How long do I need to wait until introducing starter fish? Also, what is available on the market for a hardwater problem?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Personally I wouldn't use any chemicals etc to make your water soft unless you use a RO unit.

IMHO get the fish which would best suit your water.

You will need a test kit to test your water parameters...see the fishless cycle guide and using pure ammonia. Also if any friends/family hav a tank as if they can squeeze some "gunk" from their filters into yours it will always help kick start the growth of the bacteria needed to convert Ammonia>NItrite>Nitrates

and welcome hug

Last edited by GeordieDave on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 7:31 pm

When you say you have started to cycle the tank...what method are you using?
Hardwater... do you know the pH? Chances are all LFS (local fish shops) in your area will have the same water. Once you start trying to alter water chemistry, you will create problems in trying to keep it stable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Perhaps you can give us a bit of information, and then we can help you?

Firstly - are you doing the fishless cycle - in other words adding ammonia into yor tank to build up the bacteria in your filter? If that all sounds double Dutch to you, have a read of the information on Fishless Cycling here -
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com/cycling-and-water-chemistry-f70/fishless-cycle-t227.htm.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to about it - we have all been through it and know what it's like!

You mention you have hardwater - have you done any tests to give you an idea just how hard? If so let us know. It can be a pain trying to constantly alter your aquariums water parameters, and as mentioned it is much easier to find fish that will be happy in whatever water you have. If you could let us know your tapwater ph (leave to stand for 24hrs before testing it) then we can advise you on what fish will be happy with that.

Dont worry if this all sounds a bit daunting - it's not really, and there are plenty of people here who can help you with it Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Hiya scorpiogirl, I am in the middle of doing the fishless cycle, and it's not that bad a deal - just slows down the rush to the shops to get the fish, but at least you know the tank is properly set up for them when you do get them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Scorpiogirl. Well I can't add much to what's been said above except to have patience and establish your tank using the fishless cycling method with ammonia. There's a lot of info under Aquarium Articles. Wink

It's by far the best - and safest - method of setting up a new tank. Take it from someone who cycled with fish and had to endure the heartache of watching several fish die both during and after....Sad
Back to top Go down

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 6:40 pm

What size is your tank scorpiogirl?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 am

Youve frightened the poor girl away already with all of the questions hahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie Needs Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Needs Help   Newbie Needs Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie Needs Help
Page 1 of 1