Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...

Go down 
+2
munchycarrot
indigoj
6 posters
AuthorMessage
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Empty
PostSubject: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 6:51 am

Ammonia/NitrIte are 0, NitrAte 20 (about normal before water change) Fish: 2x Clarias (12" each) 2x Oscars (5" each) 1x Ornate Bichir (12") and 2 Kissing gourami (5" each) Tank 6x2x2 1/2" pea gravel substrate, fake plants, lots of wood/rocks. Filtration 1xFluval FX5 and an Aqua one 1200.

Only problem is that the water is really cloudy Sad I've tried big water changes - up to 90%- and it cleared for a day then was cloudy again, have cleaned the filters (in tank water) and luckily water chemistry is stable, it just looks unsightly. Any ideas anyone?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:02 am

any new food?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 am

No. Water was cloudy before I got the new blood worm pellets so don't think it is them. It has been like this for about 3-4 weeks but I've exhausted all my ideas. We can get it clear but within 24 hours it is murky again.
Tried light/no feeding (as much as possible with big hungry aggressive fish!) thorough vac of the bottom (that was funny - involved a step ladder and me dangling over the tank) even scrubbed the sides...
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:52 am

That's strange. You're sure that all the filters are doing their job properly i.e. the inlet and outlet pipes are attached properly? Might sound like a silly question but you'd be surprised...Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 am

is it cloudy all the time? a few weeks ago I had really cloudy water in my tank and couldnt figure out why. turned out the tap water was full of bubbles following work on a mains pipe. it went on for weeks and looked really weird.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 3:36 am

did you find the cause of this indi?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 3:42 am

It is cloudy all the time. As far as we can tell all filters are working spot on.

I wish my camera was working cos than I could take pics of the rocks and ask Mary about their suitability in an aquarium! There are none that were obviously not fish safe though.

Tank is emptying now, going to remove all decor apart from slate and see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:49 am

Sounds like a "fun" job.
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 am

oh yeah LOL...
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:14 am

good job you dont have phisjy's fish!
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 am

HA! The Oscars bite! So does one of the Clarias...
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 am

Well I can't think of any rocks that would cause cloudiness unless they were quite soft to begin with and are leaching dust particles. As regards suitability, so long as they're not calcareous in origin (you can test with a few drops of API Nitrate bottle #2: if it fizzes, they're limestones) or have a high heavy mineral content - they'll appear quite glittery under the light - they're probably ok. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 6:54 am

Oooh, all those years of study weren't wasted after all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 7:06 am

Diana wrote:
Oooh, all those years of study weren't wasted after all!

About all I can remember...:lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:15 pm

i've been watching this one indi but i have no sensible suggestions apart from empty and refil with just fish & water then add one thing at a time gradually.
I was wondering about oxygen but only wondering... dunno
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am

Well... On Friday we did a 50% waterchange and removed most of the rocks, yesterday we did another 80% change and removed everything but the substrate, did a thorough gravel vac and boiled the wood. We also cleaned the filters (in tank water). The only thing we put back in was the wood as we know that is ok as it has been in other tanks with no trouble.

Today - water is about 90% clearer so it must have been the rocks.

Mary, you may know, the water had a very slight orange tinge and there was orangey scum on the airline do you think this means that the rocks had too high an iron content and/or were calcareous?

Only problem now is a slight planaria outbreak (think we've over fed a little Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 am

Glad you might have it sorted indi!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am

indigoj wrote:
Mary, you may know, the water had a very slight orange tinge and there was orangey scum on the airline do you think this means that the rocks had too high an iron content and/or were calcareous?

Difficult to say without knowing what rocks they are. But it's possible they were leaching something...Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...   Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cloudy Water in 6ft Tank...
Page 1 of 1