Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Algae update

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Well, just to remind you of the last problem I had when we were on the OLD site :lol: . I had had loads of problems mainly because I didn't do the fishless cycle but had fish right from the start. I ended up with 2 dead fish, loads of water changes until the tank was cycled and then added some more fish.

Then I got a bacterial bloom - more water changes Evil or Very Mad , and now I have aproblem with algae. I think Mary said it might be hair algae??

Anyway I have reduced the amount I am feeding, and keep the lights off for most of the time but it is still there. How long do you think I will need to do this for?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:12 am

Have you tried a complete blackout, cover the tank with a blanket for a few days, the lack of any light should help. I'd not worry about feeding the fish at this time, they'll be fine drunken
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:17 am

Thanks MC. So I literally jst cover the whole of the tank and forget about it for a few days? Shocked I dont have any live plants so that's not a problem. I'll do the water change over the w/e and then cover them up - another learning experience on the way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:26 am

Yes, that's it Very Happy hope it works. Have a look at this
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 am

I can feel more questions coming on - sorry MC Embarassed .

The algae in my tank is nothing as bad as that picture - that is gross!

The info is really good though and I was wondering - in it it says that phosphate beads should be put in the filter. I guess that is because this type of algae likes phosphate, is that right?

If that is right, then is it a good idea to use these beads just all the time anyway, because then you would not get any algae would you, or is that overkill and it would harm the fish in some way.

I am sorry to ask so many questions but the more I read the more questions I seem to have! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:26 am

OK, as I said inthe forst caf post, the problem with phosphate beads is that they will remove all the phosphate, starving the hair algae, oh whooppeee i hear, hold on, ive survuvied this big mistake,

I used these beads, got rid of all the phosphate, and had another type of algae take over from the hair, which was three times harder to deal with.

Im affraid its a matter of toleration and control of hair algae, we all have some somewhere, just keep pulling it off, reduce lighting and feeding, and try a bit extra co2 (even if its just a liquid toye as in seachem flourish excel)

Just a note of caution with black outs, if you had a lot of algae, when it dies, it will end up in your filters, quickly clogging them, so keep a close watch on the flow, just use an old brush to wipe off the chuncky stuff every day until its not a problem, and in the next water change, keep some water from the tank in a bucket, and give the main filter sponges a good squeeze n soak n squeeze in the tank water just to remove any excess gunk

im having all this fun atm so can symapathise Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Algae update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae update   Algae update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Algae update
Page 1 of 1