Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

my tanks starting to get dirty please help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

my tanks starting to get dirty please help Empty
PostSubject: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am

i have two pumps in my tank and they are working perfictly fine and the gravel is dirty and my glass is starting to get that way also my decorations are getting dirty any tips.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am

Well for the gravel, you'll need to get a gravel cleaner that is quite simple to use. You just stick the larger end down into the gravel and the tube end goes into a bucket. By moving the larger end around in the gravel you'll soon suck up any detritus that's buried there. It might seem a bit fiddly to begin with but you'll soon get the hang of it.

As for the tank, I just use an algae sponge and toothbrush to keep the glass and other areas clean. Every couple of months, I also clean out the filter pipes with this nifty double ended wire brush that I got in the LFS. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:53 am

Mary wrote:
I also clean out the filter pipes with this nifty double ended wire brush that I got in the LFS. Smile
I need one of those, i got a toothbrush stuck inside my spraybar yesterday and it was a PITA to get out. In the end I used my teeth but not a nice thought for how much gunk was in there :face:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 am

I use a bottle top cleaner - not sure of the real name but you know those things you use when you're cleaning the teats of a babies bottle?

Mmmm, I bet Ben didn't want to get too close that night MC :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 am

lol! algae teeth, don't worry, i got the dental floss out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 am

Kelvin, as you may know, unless you have been living on another planet, I have recently bought a new camera!! I have been driving everyone mad with photos of the fish which is ok, but unfortunately the camera shows up all the muck and algae on the glass, which I cant see too much of when I haven't got my glasses on :lol:

I know now I have to do a really thorough tank clean!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 am

I guess the one thing about just having one fish is that it doesnt get too mucky too quick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 am

Deffo gravel vaccum. Is it algae dirt or dirt dirt! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 8:47 am

munchycarrot wrote:
I need one of those

Well this brush cleaner is really nifty - it's basically like two bottle brushes of different sizes joined together by a long flexible wire so it fits all different pipe sizes and you can pull it straight through the pipe. Only cost €5 - after the aquarium tongs, it's my second favourite bit of equipment. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my tanks starting to get dirty please help   my tanks starting to get dirty please help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my tanks starting to get dirty please help
Page 1 of 1